CAASPP Update, Issue 111California Assessment of Student Performance and Progress (CAASPP) e-mail update sent out on July 22.
The California Assessment of Student Performance and Progress (CAASPP) Update, from the California Department of Education (CDE), is a regular email for K–12 educators, including testing coordinators, that focuses primarily on the Smarter Balanced assessments, which are a major component of the CAASPP system. CAASPP also includes the California Alternate Assessments and science assessments. Please forward this email to any educators in your local educational agency (LEA) who would be interested in or benefit from this information.
In this issue:
- Reminder: Scheduled Downtime for CAASPP Online Systems (Including Reduction in Downtime of Online Reporting System)
- Summative Assessments
- Digital Library State Network of Educators Convening
Reminder: Scheduled Downtime for CAASPP Online Systems (Including Reduction in Downtime of Online Reporting System)
The following online systems for the CAASPP will experience downtime from Saturday, August 1, through Sunday, August 9: Test Administrator (TA) Interface; Interim Assessment Hand Scoring System (IAHSS); Appeals System. For the Online Reporting System (ORS), results will be viewable August 1 through 6 but will not reflect any results beyond July 31. The ORS will be unavailable Friday, August 7, through Sunday, August 9, which is a reduced amount of downtime for the ORS than originally announced.
In preparation for the downtime, LEAs are strongly advised to:
- Notify all TAs and test site coordinators who may want to access the affected systems about the upcoming downtime and impact of the downtime.
- Download student completion data from the ORS before they are removed. Follow the instructions in the Completion Status User Guide (PDF) to download student completion data before they are removed.
- Ensure that all interim assessment hand scoring is complete in the IAHSS.
On Monday, August 10, all systems will be back up, and interim assessment testing can begin for the 2015–16 school year.
Preliminary results are being posted to ORS nightly. Scores may not yet be available in the following cases:
- Constructed responses are still being scored.
- One part of a student’s test (computer adaptive or performance task) has not been submitted or received.
- There are inconsistencies in student information that require additional research and resolution before reporting.
Digital Library State Network of Educators Convening
More than 60 educators from Smarter Balanced member states convened July 12 through15 for an in-person workshop hosted by Smarter Balanced for training and to work on the submission and review of instructional and professional learning resources for the Digital Library. Workshop attendees primarily were members of the State Network of Educators (SNE), a group of educators trained to evaluate professional learning and development resources for inclusion in the Smarter Balanced Digital Library. In addition, members of the State Leadership Team (SLT), state education agency staff who provide guidance and oversight to SNE members, attended the workshop. Educators from California represented nearly half of the participants, with a total of 30 representatives—26 SNE members and four SLT members—in attendance.
To join the CDE CAASPP email list, send a blank e-mail to email@example.com. Additional information about the CAASPP system and Smarter Balanced activities is available on the CDE CAASPP System web page. Questions about the CAASPP system assessments should be directed by phone to 800-955-2954, or by email to CalTAC@ets.org. Questions about the Digital Library should be directed to the Digital Library Help Desk by phone at 855-631-1510 or by email at CalTAC@ets.org.