CAASPP Update, Issue 112California Assessment of Student Performance and Progress (CAASPP) e-mail update sent out on July 29, 2015.
The California Assessment of Student Performance and Progress (CAASPP) Update, from the California Department of Education (CDE), is a regular e-mail for K–12 educators, including testing coordinators, that focuses primarily on the Smarter Balanced assessments, which are a major component of the CAASPP system. CAASPP also includes the California Alternate Assessments and science assessments. Please forward this e-mail to any educators in your local educational agency (LEA) who would be interested in or benefit from this information.
In this issue:
- Annual Release of CAASPP Summative Assessments
- Reminder: August 1–9 Downtime for CAASPP Online Systems
- Summer Scoring Training Opportunities for Educators
Annual Release of CAASPP Summative Assessments
- Site CAASPP coordinators will be given access to the Online Reporting System (ORS) in mid/late August in preparation for the annual release of the summative results. The CDE is continuing to develop additional system roles/permissions that will become available later in the 2015–16 school year.
- The CDE will be sending to LEA coordinators and superintendents a notification e-mail about the schedule for the upcoming public release. The CDE tentatively plans for the release in late August.
- In addition, the CDE will be announcing opportunities for LEA coordinators and public information officers to learn about the new public reporting web site prior to the launch.
Reminder: August 1–9 Downtime for CAASPP Online Systems
The following online systems for the CAASPP will experience downtime from Saturday, August 1, through Sunday, August 9: Test Administrator (TA) Interface; Interim Assessment Hand Scoring System (IAHSS); Appeals System.
For the Online Reporting System (ORS), results will be viewable August 1 through 6 but will not reflect any results beyond July 31. The ORS will be unavailable Friday, August 7, through Sunday, August 9.
During this scheduled downtime:
- Interim assessments will not be available.
- All incomplete tests (summative and interim) will be removed from the test delivery system.
- Incomplete summative tests will be scored and returned within the standard four-week window following closure on July 31.
- Incomplete interim tests containing items that need to be hand scored will not receive results in the Interim Assessment Reporting System.
- All 2014–15 completion status data will be removed from the ORS.
- All 2014–15 interim assessment student responses will be removed from the IAHSS.
In preparation for the downtime, LEAs are strongly advised to:
- Notify all TAs and test site coordinators who may want to access the affected systems about the upcoming downtime and impact of the downtime.
- Download student completion data from the ORS before they are removed. Follow the instructions in the Completion Status User Guide (PDF) to download student completion data before they are removed.
- Ensure that all interim assessment hand scoring is complete in the IAHSS.
On Monday, August 10, all systems will be back up, and interim assessment testing can begin for the 2015–16 school year.
Summer Scoring Training Opportunities for Educators
Educational Testing Service will conduct a series of in-person Summer Scoring Workshops throughout the state in the month of August. These one-day workshops will train educators on the use of the Smarter Balanced rubrics to score student responses.
The ample discussion and hands-on format allow for powerful professional learning that educators can take back to inform their classroom practice.
Interested educators can register for these workshops by completing the online
2015 CAASPP Hand Scoring Training Registration Form. [Note: the preceding web address is no longer valid.]
The locations and dates of the Summer Scoring Workshops are as follows:
- Sacramento, Sheraton Grand Hotel—August 3, 2015 (English language arts/literacy [ELA] and mathematics)
- Fresno Hotel and Conference Center Education—August 10 and 11, 2015 (ELA, August 10; mathematics, August 11)
- Los Angeles County Office of Education—August 11 and 12, 2015 (mathematics, August 11; ELA, August 12)
- Riverside County Office of Education—August 17, 2015 (ELA and mathematics)
- Humboldt County Office of Education—August 17 and 18, 2015 (mathematics, August 17; ELA, August 18)
- San Diego (location to be determined)—August 19, 2015 (ELA and mathematics)
- Shasta County Office of Education—August 19 and 20, 2015 (mathematics, August 19; ELA, August 20)
- Ventura County Office of Education—August 21, 2015 (ELA and mathematics)
To join the CDE CAASPP email list, send a blank message to email@example.com. Additional information about the CAASPP system and Smarter Balanced activities is available on the CDE CAASPP System web page. Questions about the CAASPP system assessments should be directed by phone to 800-955-2954, or by email to CalTAC@ets.org. Questions about the Digital Library should be directed to the Digital Library Help Desk by phone at 855-631-1510 or by email at CalTAC@ets.org.