CAASPP Update, Issue 114California Assessment of Student Performance and Progress (CAASPP) e-mail update sent out on August 12, 2015.
The California Assessment of Student Performance and Progress (CAASPP) Update, from the California Department of Education (CDE), is a regular e-mail for K–12 educators, including testing coordinators, that focuses primarily on the Smarter Balanced assessments, which are a major component of the CAASPP system. CAASPP also includes the California Alternate Assessments and science assessments. Please forward this e-mail to any educators in your local educational agency (LEA) who would be interested in or benefit from this information.
In this issue:
- Summer Scoring Training Opportunities for Educators
- Summative Assessments
- 2015–16 Interim Assessments Now Available
Summer Scoring Training Opportunities for Educators
Throughout August, Educational Testing Service is conducting regional in-person Summer Scoring Workshops. These one-day workshops are training teachers and other educators on the use of the Smarter Balanced rubrics to score student responses. The discussion and hands-on format allow for ample and empowering professional learning that teachers can take back to inform their classroom practice.
Interested educators can register for these workshops by completing the online 2015 CAASPP Hand Scoring Training Registration Form. Registration priority will be given to classroom teachers. If necessary, other LEA staff will be placed on a wait list until closer to the workshop date, when space availability can be determined.
The Summer Scoring Workshops began on August 3, and the locations and dates of the remaining sessions are as follows:
- Riverside County Office of Education—August 17 (ELA and mathematics)—FULL
- Humboldt County Office of Education—August 17 and 18 (mathematics, August 17; ELA, August 18)
- San Diego Marina Village—August 19 (ELA and mathematics)—FULL
- Shasta County Office of Education—August 19 and 20 (mathematics, August 19; ELA, August 20)
- Ventura County Office of Education—August 21 (ELA and mathematics)—FULL
Guides for helping parents and guardians interpret the CAASPP student score reports can be found on the CDE Understanding the CAASPP Student Score Reports web page. These student score report guides currently are being translated into the following languages: Spanish, Vietnamese, simplified Chinese, traditional Chinese, Eastern Armenian, Korean, Tagalog, Hmong, Russian, and Punjabi.
2015–16 Interim Assessments Now Available
The Smarter Balanced Interim Assessments are now available for the 2015–16 school year. Other than the replacement of the grade eight English language arts performance task (because of copyright restrictions), no substantive changes have been made to the content of the interim assessments. Two key enhancements have been made, however, to the interim assessment delivery system:
- LEAs may administer the interim comprehensive assessments (ICAs) up to three times per student, and the interim assessment blocks (IABs) may be administered an unlimited number of times. This is an increase from the limit of two opportunities that was in place for the ICAs and IABs during the 2014–15 school year.
- LEAs may administer interim assessments for any grade level to any student. This is a change from the restricted availability of the interim assessments that was in place during the 2014–15 school year (i.e., availability at enrolled grade level, one grade level below enrolled grade, and one grade level above enrolled grade).
Further enhancements to the test delivery system are expected to be deployed this fall. Instructions for administering the interim assessments are available in the Administration of the Online Interim Tests Resource Guide (PDF; 2MB)
To join the CDE CAASPP email list, send a blank message to email@example.com. Additional information about the CAASPP system and Smarter Balanced activities is available on the CDE CAASPP System web page. Questions about the CAASPP system assessments should be directed by phone to 800-955-2954, or by e-mail to CalTAC@ets.org. Questions about the Digital Library should be directed to the Digital Library Help Desk by phone at 855-631-1510 or by email at CalTAC@ets.org.