CAASPP Update, Issue 157California Assessment of Student Performance and Progress (CAASPP) e-mail update, June 8, 2016.
Focusing on the CAASPP System, including the Smarter Balanced assessments—a major component of CAASPP—and the California Alternate Assessments and science assessments.
Guides for Understanding the CAASPP Student Score Reports—New Translations Now Available!
These one-page guides, which help parents and guardians understand their child’s CAASPP Student Score Reports, have been translated into Armenian (Eastern), Chinese (simplified and traditional), Hmong, Korean, Pilipino (Tagalog), Punjabi, Russian, and Vietnamese. They are available on the California Department of Education’s (CDE’s) Understanding the CAASPP Student Score Reports web page. Spanish translations will be available soon.
Teacher Guides to the Smarter Balanced Assessments
WestEd, in collaboration with the CDE, has developed the CAASPP Teacher Guides to the Smarter Balanced Assessments. Separate guides have been developed for each content area—English language arts/literacy (ELA) and mathematics—and for three grade spans (grades three through five, grades six through eight, and grade eleven). The first guide, for ELA in grades three through five, is now posted on the CDE’s CAASPP Teacher Guide: Smarter Balanced Assessments web page. The remaining guides will become available over the next few weeks.
Reminders: What to Do Before Your Testing Window Ends
Before your testing window ends, please remember to assign all condition codes and select “Spanish” Student Score Report for students and parents whose primary language is Spanish:
- Assignment of condition codes. All student condition codes must be entered in the Test Operations Management System (TOMS) by the last day of the local educational agency’s (LEA’s) selected testing window. (Further instructions are available on the CAASPP Instructions for Using Condition Codes in the 2015–16 Version of TOMS web page
.) The condition codes include:
- NTE—not tested; medical emergency
- PGE—parent/guardian exemption
Student Score Reports will not be produced for students with the condition code PGE assigned for all content areas (neither paper nor PDF reports).
- Student Score Reports—designation of Spanish. This year, the CAASPP Student Score Reports will be available in English and Spanish. LEAs will need to designate, in advance, students for whom a Spanish version should be provided.
- Reminder to LEAs about sending Student Score Reports to parents/guardians. Pursuant to California Education Code Section 48985, when 15 percent or more of the students enrolled in a public school speak a single primary language, all notices, reports, statements, or records sent to parents/guardians must be in their primary language as well as in English.
California Alternate Assessments
The end of this year’s testing window for the California Alternate Assessments is quickly approaching. Please confirm that each of your students has completed all of his or her testing; that is, both English language arts and mathematics. Further, we suggest that you take a bit of time to evaluate the student’s use of embedded, non-embedded, and unlisted resources to determine whether there might be accessibility resources that may improve the experience for the student next year. If so, make note for next year, and consider any assessment-related changes that may need to be made to the student’s individualized education program.
Please share this email with any educators in your local educational agency who would be interested in or benefit from this information. To join the mail list, send a blank email message to email@example.com. Are you a new subscriber? Visit the CDE CAASPP Update web page to find previous issues.