CAASPP Update, Issue 171California Assessment of Student Performance and Progress (CAASPP) e-mail update, September 14, 2016.
Focusing on the CAASPP System, including the Smarter Balanced assessments—a major component of CAASPP—and the California Alternate Assessments and science assessments.
2016–17 Interim Assessments Can Begin!
The 2016–17 interim assessments are now available! Please remember that only local educational agency (LEA) CAASPP coordinators who have been designated by their LEA superintendent and have returned the necessary security agreement for the current school year will be registered in the Test Operations Management System (TOMS) and the Administration and Registration Tools (ART) interface, which is used to view interim assessment results.
Once LEA CAASPP coordinators are fully authorized, they will be responsible for adding users from their LEA and providing the necessary access to TOMS and ART.
For a complete list of the 2016–17 interim assessments, see the 2016–17 Smarter Balanced Interim Assessment Overview (PDF).
New Feature—Search Tool on CAASPP Web Site!
Have you found that locating materials on the CAASPP website can be challenging? We have good news for you: Beginning this week, the Web site will have a new search tool to navigate the site and quickly access its resources. Here are a few tips on making the most of this new feature:
- Make sure your spelling is correct.
- If you are looking for an exact word or phrase, use quotation marks; for example, “needle in a haystack.”
- Use a comma to separate capitalized names or phrases; for example, Common Core, Smarter Balanced.
- Try synonyms and variations of words; for example, CDROM, CD-ROM.
For more information, visit the CAASPP About This Website web page.
Practice and Training Tests for 2016–17 Are Here!
Exciting news for classroom teachers, parents, and students: Smarter Balanced has updated its online Practice Tests and Training Tests , adding new items and passages. Please be sure to share the new tests with all teachers, instructional coaches, and professional development staff to the benefit of everyone—educators and students alike.
There’s Still Time! Hand Scoring Workshops
The Interim Assessment Hand Scoring Workshops are under way, and seating is still available at several locations! Below is a listing of the locations at which seating is still available.
|Santa Clara||September 19|
|San Diego||October 7|
LEAs may send up to three team members to attend. The LEA CAASPP coordinator is responsible for registering the team members for the workshop. If you are an LEA staff member interested in participating, contact your LEA CAASPP coordinator to find out whether space is still available on your LEA’s team!
More CAASPP in Action—LEAs Share Their Experiences
Last month, the CDE launched the CAASPP in Action series, in which LEAs share in a report their successes, challenges, and lessons learned implementing the CAASPP System. Each LEA’s report discusses the training used as well as goals, lessons learned, and next steps for continuous improvement.
Reports from six LEAs are now available on the CAASPP in Action web page:
- Accessibility Supports and Interim Assessments—Centinela Valley Union School District
- Implementing Formative Assessment Practices—Alhambra Unified School District
- Using Digital Library Resources to Support Formative Assessment Practices—Kerman Unified School District
- Implementing the Interim Assessment Blocks—Anaheim Elementary School District
- Interim Assessment Data Interpretation Protocol—Cupertino Union School District
- Using Interim Assessments FOR Learning—Sierra Sands Unified School District
Please share this email with any educators in your local educational agency who would be interested in or benefit from this information. To join the email list, send a blank message to firstname.lastname@example.org. Are you a new subscriber? Visit the CDE CAASPP Update web page to find previous issues.