CAASPP Update, Issue 180California Assessment of Student Performance and Progress (CAASPP) email update, November 16, 2016.
Focusing on the CAASPP System, including the Smarter Balanced assessments—a major component of CAASPP—and the California Alternate Assessments and science assessments.
Fast Approaching: Deadline for Test Administration Window Setup!
The December 1 deadline for setting up your local educational agency’s (LEA’s) test administration window is just around the corner. Do so now—and rest assured that your LEA’s schedule will be in place!
2016–17 TOMS Functionality for LEA CAASPP Coordinators
For use by LEA CAASPP coordinators, the following features for 2016–17 are now available in the Test Operations Management System (TOMS):
- Student test assignment—The default setting for students in grades three through eight and grade eleven is the Smarter Balanced online summative assessments for English language arts/literacy and mathematics. Use the student test assignment functionality only to assign students to take the California Alternate Assessments (CAAs), the optional Standards-based Tests in Spanish (STS), or the special version paper-pencil assessments.
- Student test settings—Use this functionality to assign accommodations and designated supports, either one by one or in a batch upload.
- Unlisted resources—This functionality is for requesting the use of an accessibility support that is not otherwise available for a student who uses the support in his or her daily instruction.
- Condition codes—Use these codes to assign NTE (Not tested medical emergency) or PGE (parent/guardian exemption) condition codes in the “Score Status” tab. To ensure that a student is not inadvertently tested, condition codes should be assigned before the start of the LEA’s selected testing window.
- Spanish Student Score Report (SSR)—Request a Spanish SSR on the “Score Status” tab; doing so will cause the SSR for the student to be produced in Spanish for the Smarter Balanced Summative Assessments and the CAAs. This action must be taken before the final SSRs have been sent to the LEA.
- Orders—Use this functionality to approve the initial paper-pencil testing order counts (if the LEA is administering the optional STS). For more information, please refer to the CAASPP TOMS Pre-Administration Guide for CAASPP Testing (PDF).
Videos from North-South Meeting Now Posted
For your convenience, archived videos of the Assessment and Accountability Information Meeting webcast have been posted on the California Department of Education (CDE) North-South web page. Anyone who was unable to attend or who would like to share with others the information presented at the meeting is now welcome to access the archived presentations.
Hand Scoring Workshop Materials Available!
The presentation slides and training materials from the fall 2016 Interim Assessment Hand Scoring Workshop, conducted by Educational Testing Service on behalf of the CDE, are now available online! The materials, which educators can use for local hand scoring preparation and training, include the information that workshop participants used to evaluate and discuss feedback on hand scoring student responses. LEA staff can access these resources through the “Hand Scoring Training Guides and Exemplars” button on the Interim Assessment Administration Resources page of the CAASPP Portal web site (TOMS login credentials required). The workshop materials are posted under the “Interim Assessment Hand Scoring” tab of the TOMS web site.
Going to High School: The CDE Digital Library Instructional Learning Series
The list of instructional assets on the CDE Digital Library Resource Collections web page continues to grow! The Instructional Learning Series, a CDE-developed series of Digital Library resource lists to help teachers prepare students for content assessed on specific Interim Assessment Blocks (IABs), now includes two new lists: High School—Research and High School—Algebra and Functions. These new resource lists add to the collections that are available for grades four, six, and eight.
Development of resource lists is ongoing, so be sure to visit the CDE Digital Library Resource Collections web page often. (Please note: A Digital Library account is required to access any Digital Library resource.)
New Resource Lists Available in the Digital Library Connections Series
As the Instructional Learning Series grows, so too does the Smarter Balanced Digital Library Connections series. Launched by Smarter Balanced in September 2016, the Connections series provides collections of Digital Library resources grouped by performance level on specific IABs. Connections resource lists for Grade 5—Fractions (DOCX) and Grade 8—Research (DOCX) are now posted; use them to find relevant and useful instructional supports that are aligned with students’ instructional needs.
Meet an SNE Member!
November’s featured State Network of Educators (SNE) member is Rhandy Siordia, a grade four lead mathematics teacher at Rocketship Los Sueños Academy in San Jose. Rhandy was inspired to become an educator after participating in various community development initiatives and seeing the ways in which they brought meaningful changes to his community. Witnessing that impact led to Rhandy’s decision to join the Teach for America teacher training program.
Rhandy joined the SNE because he believes the Smarter Balanced Digital Library provides a means of networking with extensively experienced and transformational educators. He uses the Digital Library to find practice resources for mathematics that are both rigorous in nature and tightly aligned with learning goals.
To learn more about Rhandy and other members of the Digital Library State Network of Educators, please visit the CDE Meet an SNE Member web page!
Please share this email with any educators in your local educational agency who would be interested in or benefit from this information. To join the email list, send a blank message to email@example.com. Are you a new subscriber? Visit the CDE CAASPP Update web page to find previous issues.