CAASPP Update, Issue 186California Assessment of Student Performance and Progress (CAASPP) e-mail update, December 28, 2016.
Focusing on the CAASPP System, including the Smarter Balanced assessments—a major component of CAASPP—and the California Alternate Assessments and science assessments.
CAASPP System Downtime Next Week
January 5–8, several CAASPP systems will be unavailable in preparation for the 2016–17 CAASPP administration. The following will be affected by the downtime:
- Test Operations Management System
- Online Reporting System
- Test Administrator Interface
- Completion Status and Roster Management System
- Interim Assessment Viewing System
- Interim Assessment Hand Scoring System
California Alternate Assessments
The optional California Alternate Assessment (CAA) letter templates for parents and guardians—to be sent out with Student Score Reports—are now available. The Spanish version is coming soon; check the California Department of Education Parent and Guardian Score Report Letter Templates web page after the new year begins. As a reminder, the 20-day period for sending out the Student Score Reports is based on instructional days, not calendar days, which means that the clock stops ticking during your local educational agency’s winter break.
Preparing for 2017 Administration of the CAA
We are pleased to announce that the following resources will be available in January after our scheduled downtime:
- New! Practice tests for the CAA for English language arts (ELA) and mathematics
- Available by grade level and content
- Rubrics for scoring that will be provided later in March
- The CAA training tests for ELA and mathematics, updated to include new item types
In addition, we are currently updating the CAA Test Examiner Training Video, covering ELA, mathematics, and science. Watch for announcements of the availability of these resources!
Training Tests for Science
Coming in late January or early February:
- The training test for the California Science Test, containing sample items for grades five and eight and high school
- Initial training sample for the CAA for Science, including one sample embedded performance task with scoring rubric
Please share this email with any educators in your local educational agency who would be interested in or benefit from this information. To join the list, send a blank email message to email@example.com. Are you a new subscriber? Visit the CDE CAASPP Update web page to find previous issues.