CAASPP Update, Issue 206California Assessment of Student Performance and Progress (CAASPP) e-mail update, May 17, 2017.
Focusing on the CAASPP System, including the Smarter Balanced assessments—a major component of CAASPP—and the California Alternate Assessments and science assessments.
CAASPP Maintenance: Downtime, May 20
Educational Testing Service has planned maintenance downtime for this weekend. There will be no software changes to the CAASPP applications. The Test Operations Management System application will be taken off-line for routine database maintenance starting Saturday, May 20, at approximately 7 p.m. The work will be completed early Sunday morning at approximately 2 a.m.
Broadcasting of CAASPP Post-Test Workshop!
On June 13, 2017, from 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., the 2016–17 CAAPP Post-Test Workshop, “Using Assessment Results to Inform Teaching and Learning,” will be broadcast live from the Santa Clara County Office of Education. This workshop will provide answers to such questions as:
- What do you need to know about the CAASPP assessments?
- What resources are available to you and your team?
- Where and how can you access these resources?
- How can you use the results and resources to inform teaching and learning?
- How can you and your team optimize the results and the resources?
This webcast, which does not require preregistration or a logon account, can be viewed on the CAASPP Webcast web page of the CAASPP Portal. Because the workshop includes blocks of time during which participants are asked to work with others in their group, it is highly recommended that viewers participate in a local group setting. We encourage you to watch this webcast with curriculum, professional development, and instructional leaders as well as other LEA or site representatives whose role might include disseminating the information to other educators within your local educational agency (LEA).
PowerPoint presentations and handouts are available on the Training Videos and Webcasts web page of the CAASPP Portal.
Please note that if you prefer to attend an in-person training, registration is still open for some sessions. Visit the online registration form to learn about the remaining dates and their availability.
Questions about the webcast and all other topics regarding the 2016–17 CAASPP administration should be directed to the California Technical Assistance Center by phone at 800-955-2954 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Updated Fun Facts on the 2016–17 CAASPP Administration
The numbers continue to grow as the current CAASPP administration progresses:
- Of the estimated 1,815 LEAs that are expected to administer CAASPP tests during the 2016–17 administration, 1,730 have begun testing.
- It is anticipated that 3.3 million students will be administered a CAASPP test. Currently, 1,086,588 Smarter Balanced tests have been started and 9,609,788 tests have been completed.
- On Tuesday, May 9, a record number of nearly 500,000 California students took the online CAASPP assessments concurrently. This number far exceeded the peak of approximately 350,000 concurrent test takers during the 2015–16 school year.
- Over 6.5 million interim assessments have been administered across more than 1,500 LEAs this school year.
- The California Science Test (CAST) will be administered to an estimated 1.5 million students this year. To date, 1,029,460 CAST tests have been started and 1,006,385 have been completed.
- The California Alternate Assessments (CAAs) have been started by 29,907 students, with 29,201 students completing at least one CAA.
These numbers illustrate the enormous role California educators fulfill in our groundbreaking statewide assessment system. Hats off to you for your dedication!
Feedback Needed: CAASPP Surveys Extended Through This Friday
The CAASPP independent evaluator, Human Resources Research Organization (HumRRO), continues to collect responses to two statewide surveys:
- Hand Scoring Survey, exploring local experiences with the Smarter Balanced Interim Assessment Hand Scoring Workshops
- Reporting Survey, exploring local experiences with the score reports and reporting systems for the Smarter Balanced Summative and Interim Assessments
These surveys were scheduled to close on May 15 but have been extended through Friday, May 19, to improve response rates. HumRRO has e-mailed multiple reminders to those selected for the surveys who have not yet submitted their completed responses. We strongly encourage you to respond, and thank you in advance for providing your feedback and insight.
New English Language Proficiency Assessments—Are You Interested?
Did you know that California is developing new English language proficiency assessments—called the English Language Proficiency Assessments for California (ELPAC)—to be administered for the first time in spring 2018? Now is your opportunity to learn more about the ELPAC by receiving the California Department of Education’s new monthly ELPAC Update. This communication will provide you with the very latest information on ELPAC topics, such as upcoming trainings in the fall and educator opportunities in 2017–18.
To subscribe, send a blank email to email@example.com. Please help us spread the word by notifying interested educators that the ELPAC Update is now available!Please share this email with any educators in your local educational agency who would be interested in or benefit from this information. To join the email list, send a blank message to firstname.lastname@example.org. Are you a new subscriber? Visit the CDE CAASPP Update web page to find previous issues.