CAASPP Update, Issue 220California Assessment of Student Performance and Progress (CAASPP) e-mail update, August 23, 2017.
Focusing on the CAASPP System, including the Smarter Balanced assessments—a major component of CAASPP—and the California Alternate Assessments and science assessments.
Back-to-School Toolkit—New Resources for Site Administrators!
The Back-to-School Toolkit is a collection of new resources that can be used at the start of the school year to communicate CAASPP results and other information to teachers and parents. The toolkit can be shared at such events and meetings as professional development meetings, back-to-school nights, Parent-Teacher Association/Parent-Teacher-Student Association meetings, parent-teacher conferences, school site council meetings, and English learner advisory committee meetings. Featured toolkit resources include:
- A PowerPoint presentation with full speaker notes that local educational agencies (LEAs) can use to highlight their CAASPP results, discuss the role of the summative assessment in a comprehensive system, and describe how parents and guardians can help support their child’s success
- Assessment Fact Sheets and A Parent Guide to Understanding, designed to answer key questions and provide parents and guardians as well as teachers with valuable information about the assessments in an audience-appropriate format and language
- A one-page flyer that highlights key resources, such as practice tests and the Smarter Balanced Online Reporting Guide website , where parents and guardians can learn more about the assessments and how to support their child’s success
The toolkit is available on the California Department of Education (CDE) Back-to-School Toolkit web page.
Calendar Reminder: 2017–18 CAASPP System Downtimes Fast Approaching
The transition to the 2017–18 CAASPP assessments will result in downtime for components of the CAASPP online system. The downtime for the Administration and Registration and Tools (ART) interface began on Tuesday, August 22, and will extend through Monday, September 4. The Interim Assessment Reporting System will be unavailable during the ART downtime.
Downtime for the Test Operations Management System (TOMS) will begin on Wednesday, August 30, and will last through September 4. As a result of the TOMS downtime, the following systems will be unavailable:
- Test Delivery System
- Test Administrator Interface
- Online Reporting System
- Appeals/Completion Status/Roster Management System
- Interim Assessment Viewing System
- Interim Assessment Hand Scoring System
Note that systems may go offline the day before scheduled downtime—no earlier than 5 p.m.—and will be back online by 8 a.m. the day following the scheduled downtime. More details about this and future downtimes can be found on the Educational Testing Service (ETS) CAASPP System Planned Downtime web page .
Secure Your Spot: Space Still Available for Fall Trainings!
Are you looking for ways to learn about and use the Smarter Balanced Interim Assessments and Digital Library this school year? You can register for free, in-person professional learning opportunities offered by the CDE, in partnership with ETS and WestEd. The trainings—a morning Interim Assessment Hand Scoring Workshop from 8:30 to 12:30 and an afternoon Digital Library and Interim Assessment Clinic from 1:30 to 4:30—will be held in September and October at 10 locations throughout California. Space is still available at most locations!
Registration for one or both sessions can be completed using the online registration form . Because each LEA is allotted a single opportunity to register, LEA CAASPP coordinators should handle registration for all prospective participants.
California Alternate Assessments
The “Guides to Understanding the California Alternate Assessment (CAA) Student Score Report” are now available for all grade levels! These one-page guides for parents and guardians explain the score report for the CAAs and provide additional resources to help parents and guardians understand their child’s scores. Available in seven languages, the guides can be found on the CDE Understanding the CAASPP Student Score Reports web page.
Please share this email with any educators in your local educational agency who would be interested in or benefit from this information. To join the email list, send a blank message to email@example.com. Are you a new subscriber? Visit the CDE CAASPP Update web page to find previous issues.