CAASPP Update, Issue 233California Assessment of Student Performance and Progress (CAASPP) e-mail update, November 29, 2017.
Focusing on the CAASPP System, including the Smarter Balanced assessments—a major component of CAASPP—and the California Alternate Assessments and science assessments.
Deadline Nears for Setting Up 2017–18 CAASPP Testing Window
December 1, 2017, is the deadline for local educational agencies (LEAs) to set up their summative testing window for the 2017–18 CAASPP administration. The test administration window(s) must be set up in the Test Operations Management System for the CAASPP online summative assessments, the California Alternate Assessments (CAAs) for English language arts/literacy and mathematics, and the California Science Test (CAST). Additional information can be found in the following:
- “CAASPP—Test Administration Window Setup Reminder,” the November 16, 2017, e‑mail from the California Technical Assistance Center (CalTAC)
- The 2017–18 video, Setting Up Your Test Administration Window
Questions about the testing window and all other topics regarding the CAASPP administration should be directed to CalTAC by phone at 800-955-2954 or by e-mail at email@example.com.
Reminder: Complete the 1 Percent Threshold Survey
The deadline for submitting the 1 Percent Threshold Survey is December 15, 2017. LEAs must complete the survey if they will be exceeding the 1 percent threshold for the 2017–18 administration of the alternate assessments. To complete the survey, the following information will be needed:
- Number of students projected to take an alternate assessment
- One or more reasons
- Justification for exceeding the threshold
Related guidance and the link to the survey are located on the California Department of Education (CDE) 1 Percent Threshold on Alternate Assessments Web page.
The Action Continues—Showcasing School Districts with CAASPP in Action
The CAASPP in Action series continues to grow! Two new reports from California school districts have been added, detailing the districts’ successes, challenges, and lessons learned while implementing the CAASPP System:
- Santee School District. This report describes the district’s process for phasing in the Smarter Balanced Interim Assessments to support a comprehensive assessment system. It includes details on the resources used for and promotion efforts behind the development of interim assessments. Also described are the efforts that were made to share timelines and tools to improve district assessment data analysis protocols.
- Hawthorne School District. This report describes the district’s multiyear approach to integrating resources related to the Smarter Balanced Interim Assessment Blocks, including hand scoring materials and rubrics, into the instructional scope and sequence.
More district reports are coming soon! In the meantime, be sure to visit the CDE CAASPP in Action Web page to learn how other school districts are using the CAASPP System tools and assessment results to improve teaching and learning.
Science Item Writing Workshop Held at New Golden 1 Center
In mid-November, 32 California educators attended a three-day item writing workshop for the CAST and the CAA for Science. The purpose of the workshop, which took place at the new Golden 1 Center in downtown Sacramento, was to provide participants with a foundation for writing science test items that adhere to the California Next Generation Science Standards. During the first two days of the workshop, participants learned how to write science test items. On the last day, they reviewed and provided feedback on the new items.
Questions about the item writing workshop for the CAST and CAA for Science can be directed to the CAASPP Office by phone at 916-445-8765 or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
New Tutorial Video for the CAA for Science!
How to Administer the CAA for Science is now available! This 12-minute video provides test examiners with an overview of the test administration for the year-two pilot of the CAA for Science.
Please share this e-mail with any educators in your local educational agency who would be interested in or benefit from this information. To join the e-mail list, send a blank e-mail message to email@example.com. Are you a new subscriber? Visit the CDE CAASPP Update Web page to find previous issues.