CAASPP Update, Issue 257California Assessment of Student Performance and Progress (CAASPP) e-mail update, May 23, 2018.
Focusing on the CAASPP System, including the Smarter Balanced assessments—a major component of CAASPP—and the California Alternate Assessments and science assessments.
Registration Available for Summer Institute, 2018
Registration is now available for Summer Institute, 2018: “Analyzing Student Work and Using the Interim and Digital Library Systems to Inform Teaching and Learning,” a two-day, in-person professional development opportunity for classroom teachers, instructional coaches, and teachers on special assignment in kindergarten through grade twelve. Administrators also may find this training useful to inform their support of classroom teachers. A stipend of $150 per day will be provided to teachers whose schools are not in session the day of the workshop.
The goals of this workshop training are for participants to:
- Understand the purpose of different types of assessment and how they work together to support student learning.
- Understand the design of Smarter Balanced Interim Assessment items aligned with college- and career-ready standards and use evidence-based scoring to analyze student responses. (Note that this workshop does not include training for paid scoring of the summative assessments.)
- Know how to use interim assessment/Digital Library systems, including accessibility features, to support teaching and learning.
- Understand the value of and connection between the systems in improving teaching and learning.
- Plan for how and when to use assessment to support teaching and learning.
To maximize this learning opportunity, schools and local educational agencies (LEAs) may consider sending educators as a team and dividing their participation between the English language arts/literacy and mathematics content areas.
Visit the CAASPP Workshop Information Web page for an information flyer and a link to registration.
If you have questions, please contact the California Technical Assistance Center by phone at 800-955-2954 or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
California Spanish Assessment—Field Test This Fall
The California Spanish Assessment (CSA) field test is scheduled for September 17 through October 12, 2018! All LEAS are encouraged to participate. The CSA is a new, computer-based assessment designed to measure students’ Spanish skills in reading, writing, and listening.
The field test is available for students in grades four through twelve, and each LEA will have discretion in determining which schools and grade levels participate. LEAs interested in participating in the field test can complete the CSA Field Test Participation Survey . For more information, please contact Marques Barron, Program Administrator, Educational Testing Service, by phone at 916-403-2432.
Please share this e-mail with any educators in your local educational agency who would be interested in or benefit from this information. To join the e-mail list, send a blank e-mail message to email@example.com. Are you a new subscriber? Visit the CDE CAASPP Update Web page to find previous issues.