Digital Library Playlists
Created by expert educators in collaboration with CDE and Smarter Balanced, the Digital Library playlists bring together associated resources that pertain to specific topics in one location. Each of the playlists on this page is available in a convenient playlist flyer . Please note: A Digital Library account is required to access any Digital Library resource.
CDE—Professional Learning Series
The Professional Learning Series playlists are designed to connect educators with resources in the Digital Library that directly relate to timely professional learning topics.
Formative Assessment Process
- Formative Assessment Process – Foundational Series | PDF
This foundational series is designed for use by educators with limited experience integrating the formative assessment process into instruction and/or limited understanding of the tools offered in the Digital Library.
- Formative Assessment Process – Advanced Series | PDF
This advanced series is designed for use by educators who can navigate the Digital Library and are ready to deepen their formative assessment practices and develop additional formative assessment skills.
- Assessment Literacy – Foundational Series | PDF
This foundational series is designed for use by educators with limited understanding of the Smarter Balanced assessment system. This interactive series engages educators in the formative assessment process while learning about the components that make up the Smarter Balanced assessment system.
- Assessment Literacy – Advanced Series | PDF
This advanced series is available for use by educators who have used all components of the Smarter Balanced assessment system. This interactive series engages educators in the formative assessment process while learning how to evaluate and align classroom and district instruction and assessment tools with regard to Depth of Knowledge and accessibility for all students.
Supporting Student Accessibility Needs
- Supporting Student Accessibility Needs for Instruction and Assessment | PDF
This series offers educators support in meeting individualized instructional and assessment needs. Each resource in this series provides research-based information on teaching strategies that meet the needs of individual students.
Supporting English Learners
- Supporting English Learners | PDF (30-Jun-2017)
This series offers educators support in meeting the needs of students who are English learners. Resources in this series provide research-based information on teaching and learning strategies to promote the development of English language proficiency.
The Instructional Learning Series playlists are designed to connect educators with resources in the Digital Library that directly relate to specific Interim Assessment Blocks. For each resource on the playlists below, a brief description is provided along with the Common Core State Standards (CCSS) of focus and estimated instructional time. Many of the formative assessment practices featured in these resources can be used across grades and content areas, so teachers are encouraged to explore all of the playlists in this series.
English Language Arts/Literacy
- Grade 3—Read Literary Texts
- Grade 4—Read Literary Texts
- Grade 5—Read Literary Texts
- Grade 6—Read Informational Texts
- Grade 7—Read Informational Texts
- Grade 8—Read Informational Texts
- High School—Research
- Grade 3—Operations and Algebraic Thinking
- Grade 4—Numbers and Operations Base Ten
- Grade 5—Numbers and Operations in Base Ten
- Grade 6—Ratios and Proportional Relationships
- Grade 7—The Number System
- Grade 8—Expressions and Equations I
- High School—Algebra and Functions
Smarter Balanced—Digital Library Connections
Digital Library Connections playlists link student performance on Smarter Balanced Interim Assessment Blocks to resources in the Digital Library. Educators can use these playlists to find relevant and useful instructional supports that are aligned with students’ needs.
All Connections playlists—which are subject- and grade-level specific—are available in the Digital Library, and require an account login to access. A select number of Connections playlists can be accessed without an account below.
English Language Arts/Literacy
- Grade 4—Brief Writes (DOCX)
- Grade 4—Revision (DOCX)
- Grade 7—Read Literary Text (DOCX)
- Grade 8—Research (DOCX)
- High School—Brief Writes (DOCX)
- High School—Revision (DOCX)
- Grade 3—Number and Operations in Base Ten (DOCX)
- Grade 5—Fractions (DOCX)
- Grade 6—Geometry (DOCX)
- Grade 7—Ratio and Proportional Relationships (DOCX)
- High School—Statistics and Probability (DOCX)
To search for listings of available Connections playlists by content area and grade level, locate the Connections Playlists section of the Smarter Balanced Digital Library Web page . More information on the creation and purpose for Digital Library Connections playlists is available at Linking Interim Assessment Blocks to Digital Library Resources (PDF).