Directory Data Sources
Provides information on the data sources used to obtain each data element available through the California School Directory (Directory).
County District School (CDS) Database
The below data elements are maintained and sourced through the CDS Database. Updates to these data may be made on a daily basis.
- County-District School (CDS) codes
- Entity names
- Entity contact information, including phone number, fax number, email address
- Entity addresses (mailing and physical)
- Web addresses
- Entity administrator (superintendent/principal) contact information
- Chief Business Official (CBO) contact information (for districts and charter schools)
- Status (active, closed, pending, merged)
- School open and closure dates
- School/District Type (elementary, high, alternative school of choice, etc.)
- Grades offered
- Virtual instruction school type
- Magnet school indicator
California Basic Educational Data System (CBEDS)
The data element listed below is maintained and sourced through CBEDS. Updates are made annually after the statewide certification of CBEDS data, which usually occurs in January or February.
Charter School Database
The data element listed below is maintained and sourced through the Charter School Database. Updates are made upon initial startup of a charter school, or when a school converts to/from a charter school.
National Center for Education Statistics (NCES)
The data element listed below is maintained and sourced from NCES. Updates are made three to four times per year.
- Federal Identification Number
Online Public Update for Schools (OPUS)-CDS
The data listed below are maintained and sourced from OPUS-CDS. Updates may be made daily.
- CDS Coordinator contact information