SNP Verification Materials
Verification is the annual, mandatory process that confirms the eligibility of a sample of completed household meal eligibility applications in the National School Lunch and School Breakfast Programs. Each local educational agency (LEA) must select and verify a sample of applications approved for free and reduced-price meal benefits. The required sample size of applications to be verified is based on the number of approved applications on file on October 1. Each LEA must complete verification of the minimum required sample size by November 15. The verification process must substantiate eligibility based on monthly income or current participation in the CalFresh Program, California Work Opportunity and Responsibility to Kids (CalWORKs), Kinship Guardianship Assistance Payments (Kin-GAP), or the Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations (FDPIR). Districts may use the Worksheet to Determine Verification Sample Size (DOC) and Verification Results/Findings by Individual Student (DOC) to meet the requirements of federal Coordinated Review Efforts (CREs).
Verification process forms may be downloaded as one complete file or individually.
- Verification Packet (DOC)
- Notification of Household Selection for School Meal Eligibility Verification (DOC)
Available translations of the Notification of Household Selection form.
- Acceptable Verification Documentation (DOC)
Available translations of the Acceptable Verification Documentation form.
- Verification by Employer or CalFresh/CalWORKs/Kin-GAP/FDPIR Office of Information Provided on Application for Free or Reduced-Price Meals (DOC)
- Verification Documentation of Households Applying for Free or Reduced-Price Meals (DOC)
- Letter of Verification Results - Termination of CalFresh/CalWORKs/Kin-GAP/FDPIR Benefits (DOC)
Available translations of the Letter of Verification Results: Benefits form.
- Letter to CalFresh/CalWORKs/Kin-GAP/FDPIR Office from the District or Agency Regarding School Meal Applications Selected for Verification Process (DOC)
- Letter of Verification Results for School Meal Applications from Income Households (DOC)
Available translations of the Letter of Verification Results: Income form.
- Verification List of CalFresh/CalWORKs/Kin-GAP/FDPIR Recipients for Multiple Applicants (DOC)
- Worksheet to Determine Verification Sample Size (DOC)
- Verification Results/Findings by Individual Student (DOC)
In January of each year, all LEAs must complete and submit a verification report through the Child Nutrition and Information Payment System (CNIPS) using the verification report function. The verification report contains information about sites collecting applications, site enrollment, eligibility information, and results of verification. After the report has been submitted without errors, NSD staff can review the document.
- Management Bulletin USDA-SNP-28-2013
2013–14 annual sponsor verification report is now available.
Whom do we contact if we have questions?
If you have questions about the verification process, please contact your School Nutrition Programs Unit (SNPU) Specialist by phone at 800-952-5609.