California Gold Ribbon Schools ProgramA program for 2015-2016 which honors some of California's outstanding public schools. Schools that are selected demonstrate exemplary achievements in implementing state standards in priority areas.
The California Department of Education (CDE) seeks to recognize outstanding educational programs and practices. The California Gold Ribbon Schools Award was created to honor schools while the California Distinguished Schools Program is on hiatus as California transitions to new assessment and accountability systems. Last year, we recognized 193 middle schools and 180 high schools as Gold Ribbon School Award recipients. We will honor elementary schools in 2016.
Traditionally, the Distinguished Schools Program honored public schools that showed improved student outcomes as measured through Standardized Testing and Reporting scores and additional measures. As programs and policies evolve, the CDE looks toward the same recognition of educational quality with the implementation of academic content and performance standards adopted by the State Board of Education for all pupils, including English learners.
California elementary schools that have made tremendous gains in implementing State Board policies and their Local Control Accountability Plan are invited to apply for the Gold Ribbon Schools Award. Model programs and practices should include standards-based activities, projects, strategies, and practices that schools have adopted during this transitional period, which can be replicated by other local educational agencies.
Congratulations to our 2016 Elementary Gold Ribbon Schools!
2016 Elementary Schools Program
- Timeline of Activities
- Letter to District and County Superintendents, Charter School Administrators, and Elementary School Principals
- County Coordinators
- List of Eligible Elementary Schools (XLS; Updated 16-Oct-2015)
2016 Sponsors and Special Friends
Headquartered in San Mateo, California Casualty is proud to sponsor the CDE’s School Recognition program because we are committed to education and have supported California teachers and students at school, in the community and behind the wheel for over 60 years.
It is an honor to recognize educators who make a difference every day for our children. It takes real commitment to go far above and beyond to help students reach their full potential. Follow the link above to learn more about California Casualty and our sponsorship of the California Department of Education’s California School Recognition Program.
- California Community Foundation
- California School Employees Association
- Schools First Federal Credit Union
- California Association of School Business Officials
- Common Sense Kids Action, Common Sense Media, Common Sense Education
- California Association of Realtors
- California State Parent Teacher Association
- Association of California School Administrators
2016 Application Package
Gold Ribbon Schools Award
- Intent to Apply (Deadline extended to Wednesday, October 21, 2015)
This form is to be used by an elementary school principal to indicate his/her intent to apply for the 2016 California Gold Ribbon Schools Award. Submission of this form is required to be considered for the Gold Ribbon School Award.
- Intent to Apply - Frequently Asked Questions (Added Oct-2015)
- Gold Ribbon Application Instructions (DOC)
- Gold Ribbon Application Part A (DOC)
- Gold Ribbon Application Part B (DOC)
- Gold Ribbon Application Scoring Rubric (DOC)
- Arts Education Application Instructions (DOC)
- Arts Education Application (DOC)
- Arts Education Scoring Rubric (DOC)
- Physical Activity & Nutrition Education Application Instructions (DOC; Added 12-Oct-2015)
- Physical Activity & Nutrition Education Application (DOC; Updated 09-Nov-2015)
- Physical Activity & Nutrition Education Scoring Rubric (DOC)