Instructional MaterialsInformation and resources for instructional materials.
- General Info
- Reviewer Info
- Publisher Info
- Selected History-Social Science Topics
- Additional Resources
2017 History-Social Science Adoption
- Schedule of Significant Events
Adopted by the State Board of Education on July 14, 2016.
2005 History-Social Science Adoption
- State Board of Education List of Adopted Programs
Programs adopted by the State Board of Education on November 9, 2005.
- Price Lists of K-8 Adopted Instructional Materials
Search by subject.
- 2005 History-Social Science Adoption Report (PDF; 4MB)
- Standards Maps Grades K-8
Adopted by the Curriculum Commission on April 9, 2004.
9-12 Standards Map Templates and Instructions
Templates are completed with citations by publishers and used by local education agencies in reviews of instructional materials.
Selected History-Social Science Topics
- Celebrating Black History Rosa Louise Parks (PPT)
- Accessible Alternative Version of Celebrating Black History Rosa Louise Parks
Did You Know About...?
- African-American Miners on the Lower American River
- Key Points in the History of Blacks in the Gold Rush
Brown vs. Board of Education
American Bar Association Division for Public Education
- Kindergarten Through Grade Three Brown vs. Board of Education of Topeka (Kansas)
- Grades Four Through Six 50th Anniversary of Brown vs. Board of Education of Topeka (Kansas)
- Grades Seven and Eight 50th Anniversary of Brown vs. Board of Education of Topeka (Kansas)
California Legislative Recommendations 2009-10
- Correction: Fred Korematsu Day of Civil Liberties and the Constitution
- Fred T. Korematsu Institute for Civil Rights and Education
César E. Chávez
- César E. Chávez Model Curriculum
Research Center is now available. Contains several thousand primary source documents and more than 500 pictures from historical archives.
Constitution Day and Citizenship Day
Includes recommendations for observing this occasion held on September 17th each year.
Includes excerpts from the History-Social Science content standards.
Equal Rights 101
- Equal Rights 101
The Department of Fair Employment and Housing is making available to California high school students important information about the rights and responsibilities relative to employment discrimination and harassment in the workplace.
Human Rights and Genocide
- Human Rights and Genocide Model Curriculum (PDF; 2MB)
- The Genocide Education Project
Resources for teachers on the Armenian Genocide.
- Curriculum Resources at the George Bush Presidential Library and Museum
Includes social science, science, and U.S. history lessons.
- Classroom Ready Curriculum at the Reagan Presidential Library
Primary sources and teacher guides related to some of the President Reagan's most famous speeches.
- Resources for Teachers at the Jimmy Carter Library and Museum
Includes a lesson related to the Panama Canal Treaties and other materials for teachers.
- Curriculum at the Gerald R. Ford Presidential Library and Museum
Includes curriculum materials based on the museum exhibits.
- Resources for Teachers at the Nixon Presidential Library and Museum
Includes a number of lesson plans for teachers and links to primary sources for students.
- Curricular Resources at the John F. Kennedy Presidential Library and Museum
Includes lesson plans for elementary, middle, and high school.
- Teacher Resources at the Eisenhower Presidential Library and Museum
Includes the "Eisenhower Life Series", a curriculum for grade five through twelve.
- Education Programs at the Harry S. Truman Library and Museum
Includes student activities and database of teacher-created lesson plans.
- Education Programs and Resources at the Franklin D. Roosevelt Library and Museum
Includes materials for students, teachers, and parents, including curriculum guides with supporting YouTube videos.
- Curriculum Guides for Education at the Herbert Hoover Presidential Library and Museum
Includes lesson plans for teachers and materials for students.
September 11, 2001
- Remembering September 11, 2001
Books, Web sites and other resources.
Sikhs in California
- California Legislature Recommends Honoring Sikh Americans
A letter from Superintendent Tom Torlakson regarding California Sikh American Awareness and Appreciation Month (November 2012)
- Sikhs in America
Link to resources hosted by Public Broadcasting station KVIE.
- California: To Statehood and Beyond (PDF; 2MB)
An annotated bibliography developed by CDE of recommended books, Web sites, materials, and museums. Appropriate for kindergarten through grade twelve, the resources deal with California's history from 1846 to 1850.
- Addendum to the 2002 Edition (PDF)
Additional books and Web sites selected by the original committee.
- Addendum to the 2002 Edition (PDF)
- California Native Americans Supplemental Instructional Materials.
Authorized by Senate Bill 41, Chapter 870 of the Statutes of 2002.
(Copy of materials available on request. These materials have not been approved by the State Board of Education).
Questions: Curriculum Frameworks and Instructional Resources Division | CFIRD@cde.ca.gov | 916-319-0881
Last Reviewed: Thursday, October 20, 2016