Digital Talking BooksInformation on Digital Talking Books to support qualified students.
What are Digital Accessible Information System (DAISY) books?
DAISY Digital Talking Books (DTB) standards are developed, maintained, and promoted by the international DAISY Consortium .
A DAISY book can be explained as a set of digital files that includes:
- One or more digital audio files containing a speech synthetic narration of text
- Files that support images and highlighted text for visual display
- Synchronization files to relate highlighted text and bookmarks with time points in the audio file
- A navigation control file which enables the user to move smoothly between text, pages, and bookmarks while synchronization between text and audio is maintained
The DAISY standard allows the producing agency full flexibility regarding the mix of text and audio ranging from audio only, to full text and audio, to text only.
CSMT DAISY DTBs include various file types, such as:
- DAISY Consortium/NISO Standard Book(s) (DAISY)
- Wave and MP3 audio file(s)
- Rich text files (RTF)
- Navigation Control file
- DAISY SMIL file(s)
- Images and style sheets
- DAISY 3.0 offers XML and OPF files
DTBs give users the ability to:
- Play the book on a variety of hardware and software players depending on the DAISY file type (e.g., CD players, mobile phones, computers, iPods & iPads, etc.)
- Increase the font size
- Vary the speed of the reading
- Change the background color to meet specific needs depending on the DAISY player
- Highlight sentences as text is being read
- Read along with a speech synthetic voice
- Bookmark to the word, page, unit, or chapter
- Move to any page, chapter, or section of the book
CSMT DAISY 2.02 and DAISY 3.0 books can be opened and played in many open source or commercial DAISY software players , hardware players , or mobile applications depending on the book and the player specifications. Adaptive Multimedia Information System (AMIS) is a DAISY playback software developed by DAISY Consortium.
Some of the AMIS features include:
- Support full-text/full-audio, audio-only, and text-only DAISY 2.02 and DAISY 3 books
- Self-voicing player (meaning no specialized screen-reading software is needed in order to be used by visually impaired people)
- Books are played with synchronized phrase-level highlighting
- Supports different views and styles of the page
- Adjustable text sizes, contrast, and background colors
- Adjustable audio speed
- Supports multiple languages
- Supports bookmarking
- Open the book from CD-ROM, URL, or from a specific location on your computer
- Search text of DAISY books
- Allows the user to skip items, such as footnotes, pages, producer notes, and sidebars
- Supports navigation to previous/next section/page or specific page in the book
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)