Type of Care
The Type of Care code describes the setting (licensed or license-exempt category) in which the CDD-subsidized services were provided to the child in the report month. Children may have more than one Type of Care in a report month.
Where to Find It
On the CD-9600 form, look in box 9,"Type of Care Code" in Section IV, "Data on Children."
Rules and Guidelines
- This information is required.
- [CDD-801B only] If the child had more than one CDD-subsidized Type of Care in the report month, information on each type that is subject to CDD-801B reporting must be reported. Click here to see the list of Program Codes that must be reported.
- [CDD-801A only] If the child had more than one CDD-subsidized Type of Care in the report month, information on each type must be reported.
- A provider can have more than one Type of Care in one report month. (For example, a relative takes care of the child in her own home  and in the child's home  on different days in the same month.)
- [CDD-801A Only] Only one provider zip code can be reported for the same Provider FEIN/SSN and Type of Care combination for a child. Use the following to determine which provider zip code to report:
For a child who received services in different centers located in different zip codes that are operated by the same provider, report the provider zip code where the most hours of service occurred.
For a child who transferred to a different center in a different zip code during the month that is operated by the same provider, report the provider zip code where the most recent services were provided.
- Remember to change the Services Date if the Type of Care changed from the prior reporting month or changed during the month.
- There are only eight possible choices:
02 - Licensed family child care home
03 - Licensed large family child care home
04 - Licensed center-based care
05 - License-exempt in child's home by a relative
06 - License-exempt in child's home by a non-relative
07 - License-exempt outside the child's home by a relative
08 - License-exempt outside the child's home by a non-relative
11 - License-exempt center-based care
Error Messages and Solutions
The Type of Care information is invalid. [801A File transfer]
The Type of Care is not in the list of valid values.
Enter a valid Type of Care code.
You have entered a Type of Care. The child's information is required. [801A Web Input]
You have entered a Type of Care, but you did not enter all of the following three elements: Child First Name, Child Last Name, and Child Date of Birth.
You must enter the Child First Name, Child Last Name, and Child Date of Birth. If the Type of Care information was completed in error, change the answer back to "Select from list."
The Type of Care is required. [801A File transfer], [801A Web Input], [801B]
No Type of Care code has been entered.
Enter a valid Type of Care code.
The Type of Care is not valid for the Program Code selected. [801 File Transfer], [801A Web Input], [801B]
The Type of Care/Program Code combination provided is not allowed.
Confirm that you have selected the correct Program Code and/or Type of Care. The valid combinations are:
C2AP, C3AP, CAPP, and CMAP can be used with 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07, 08, and 11
CCTR and CMIG can be used with 02, 03, 04, and 11
CFCC can be used with 02 and 03
CHAN can be used with 04 and 11
CSPP can be used with 04
One or more duplicate records for this family. [801A File Transfer]
The provider/type of care already exists for this child's services. [801A Web Input]
For agencies submitting their CDD-801A via an electronic file:
- Two identical rows in your file, or
- Two nearly identical rows in your file. The only difference between the rows is the provider zip code. This could occur if a child received care from the same provider in different zip codes.
For agencies submitting their CDD-801A via Web Input:
- Duplicate provider information has been entered for the same child. This means you are trying to add a Type of Care for a Provider FEIN/SSN that already exist for this child, or
- Reporting the same provider/type of care (Provider FEIN/SSN and Type of Care are the same) twice to show the child was served by the same provider in the same setting in two different centers which happen to be in two different zip codes.
Electronic File Transfer: Delete one of the duplicate rows in the electronic file or correct the information in the identified rows to reflect the family, child, and provider information. In the case where a child received services from the same provider but at centers with different zip codes, review the Rules and Guidelines section above to determine which zip code to report.
Web Input: The information provided under the Provider FEIN/SSN and Type of Care has been entered twice. Verify information under each type of care displaying the error. Correct the information as necessary. In the case where a child received services from the same provider but at centers with different zip codes, review the Rules and Guidelines section above to determine which zip code to report.