California Basic Educational Data System (CBEDS)An annual collection of local educational agency data including classified staff, teacher hires, graduation requirements, technology data, and more.
The California Basic Educational Data System (CBEDS) is an annual data collection administered in October. CBEDS data are reported through an Online Reporting Application called CBEDS-ORA. The purpose of CBEDS is to collect data about schools and districts, as well as some aggregate data on students and staff. There are two separate forms used to collect these data. The County/District Information Form (CDIF) is used to collect data specific to districts and county offices on the number of classified staff and estimated number of teacher hires. The School Information Form (SIF) is used to collect data specific to schools on the number of classified staff, kindergarten program type, educational calendars, parental exception waivers, truancy, and School Improvement Grant information. Student aggregate counts (i.e., graduates, dropouts, and various enrollment data) previously collected on the SIF and certificated staff, course and assignment data previously collected on the Professional Assignment Information Form (PAIF) have been transitioned to the California Longitudinal Pupil Achievement Data System (CALPADS). For additional information on CBEDS, please refer to the CBEDS Data Collection and Reporting Process page.
October 7, 2015: CBEDS Information Day
October 30, 2015: CBEDS data are due to the California Department of Education (CDE)
The CBEDS-ORA is used to:
- Submit SIF and CDIF data to the CDE
- Update CBEDS coordinator contact information
The CBEDS-ORA also contains a list of schools that are expected to submit data.
- CBEDS Administrative Manual October 2015 (DOC; Revised 07-Oct-2015)
- CBEDS Online Reporting Application and Resources
Access the CBEDS-ORA as well as useful information for using this application.
- CBEDS Frequently Asked Questions 2015
Answers to frequently asked questions about the CBEDS data collection.
- County/District Information Form 2015 (DOC; Revised 23-Apr-2015)
- School Information Form 2015 (DOC; Revised 23-Apr-2015)
- Historical CBEDS Forms and Manuals
CBEDS training is provided to CBEDS coordinators in an Adobe Flash (SWF) format with voice-over narration. Click on the training link below to view the presentation. Please allow one hour for the training.
- 2015–16 CBEDS Training Presentation (Flash; 40:00)
This training covers the reporting and submission of CBEDS data.
Accessible Alternate Version (AAV) of the 2015–16 CBEDS Training Slides
- CBEDS 2015 Information Day Reminder (Dated 07-Oct-2015)
- 2015–16 CBEDS Data Collection Process for Districts (Dated 01-Sep-2015)
- 2015–16 CBEDS Data Collection Process for Independently Reporting Charter Schools (Dated 01-Sep-2015)
- CBEDS 2015–16 Significant Dates, Responsibilities, and Contact Updates (Dated 16-Jul-2015)
- Changes to the 2015–16 CBEDS Data Collection (Dated 27-Mar-2015)
Policies and Guidelines
- Charter School Data Reporting Policy for CBEDS-ORA
- CBEDS Certification Process and Policy on Inaccuracies in Certified Data
California Longitudinal Pupil Achievement Data System (CALPADS)
CALPADS is the foundation of California's kindergarten through grade twelve (K–12) education data system. It will maintain longitudinal, individual-level data including student demographic, program participation, grade level, enrollment, course enrollment and completion, discipline, state assessment, teacher assignment, and other data required to meet state and federal reporting requirements. Data will be linked longitudinally using a unique, non-personally identifiable Statewide Student Identifier (SSID). Visit the CDE CALPADS Web page for more information.