The California Department of Education administers the United States Senate Youth Program (USSYP) that is an annual scholarship competition funded by the William Randolph Hearst Foundation and endorsed by the United States Senate. Each of the 50 states and the District of Columbia select two high school juniors or seniors to participate in the USSYP. The delegates receive a $5,000 college scholarship and attend a one-week, all-expense paid trip to Washington, D.C. from March 8–15, 2014.
Please note that students must be nominated by their high school principal to be considered for the USSYP. Students are unable to apply to the USSYP directly. The deadline to apply for the 2014 USSYP is Friday, September 27, 2013.
- Letter to High School Principals, Counselors, and Scholarship Coordinators
- California Student Application (DOC)
- California Qualifying Examination
- California Instructions - Instructions for the 2014 USSYP student application.
- California Frequently Asked Questions - Information on eligibility requirements, selection criteria, how to apply, and deadlines for applying.
- 2014 U.S. Senate Youth Program News Release 2014 Winners.
- William Randolph Hearst Foundation - Information from the William Randolph Hearst Foundation's Web site regarding the United States Senate Youth Program as well as a copy of their 2014 USSYP brochure.
For further information contact:
David Carriker, USSYP Coordinator
Office of the State Superintendent of Public Instruction
California Department of Education
1430 N Street, Suite 5602
Sacramento, CA 95814-5901