United States Senate Youth ProgramAnnual scholarship competition administered by the California Department of Education.
The California Department of Education administers the United States Senate Youth Program (USSYP) that is an annual scholarship competition funded by the William Randolph Hearst Foundation and endorsed by the United States Senate. Each of the 50 states and the District of Columbia select two high school juniors or seniors to participate in the USSYP. The delegates receive a $10,000 college scholarship and attend a one-week, all-expense paid trip to Washington, D.C. from March 4–11, 2017.
Please note that students must be nominated by their high school principal to be considered for the USSYP. Students are unable to apply to the USSYP directly. The deadline to apply for the 2017 USSYP is Saturday, October 1, 2016.
- California Instructions - Instructions for the 2017 USSYP student application.
- Letter to High School Principals, Counselors, and Scholarship Coordinators
- California Student Application (DOC)
- California Qualifying Examination
- California Frequently Asked Questions - Information on eligibility requirements, selection criteria, how to apply, and deadlines for applying.
- William Randolph Hearst Foundation - Information from the William Randolph Hearst Foundation's Web site regarding the 2017 United States Senate Youth Program as well as a copy of their USSYP brochure.
For further information, contact:
Dina Fong, U.S. Senate Youth Program Coordinator
David Carriker, U.S. Senate Youth Program Assistant
Prior Year California USSYP Delegates
- 2016 U.S. Senate Youth Program News Release. 2016 California delegates.
- 2015 U.S. Senate Youth Program News Release. 2015 California delegates.
- 2014 U.S. Senate Youth Program News Release. 2014 California delegates.