Below are policies related to the Consolidated Application, and the management of categorical program data collected by the Consolidated Application Data System and the Consolidated Application and Reporting System (CARS). Specific program guidance can be found at:
- 2011-12 Consolidated Application Program Guidance, Winter Release (previously referred to as Part II)
- 2011-12 Consolidated Application Program Guidance Document (Revised 22-Mar-2012; DOC)
- Local Educational Agencies (LEAs) shall keep a printed, signed version of the Application for Funding at their site and be prepared to show it when requested by state personnel.
- The LEAs shall maintain three years of supporting records and documentation related to funding activities after the final year those funds are expended.
- Consolidated Application Requirements - Local Governing Board Approval and District Advisory Committees
Letter to County and District Superintendents and Charter School Administrators to help clarify state and federal laws and regulations with respect to district advisory committees and local board approval.
CDE Data Retention
- The California Department of Education (CDE) will not purge (and will retain) historical LEA certified data from CARS.
- The CDE will retain five years of historical data collected in ConApp Data System (CADS) FoxPro, and to the extent that the FoxPro technology is still viable, will retain the software application to access the data.
CARS Data Management
- The CDE will only use data that is official (i.e., data that the LEA has submitted and certified).
- Once an LEA has submitted certified data for a data collection and the final deadline has passed, the LEA will no longer be allowed to revise the data within CARS. A formal process will be defined for re-opening a data collection that will include an impact assessment and appropriate approval from CDE program directors and the Educational Data Management Division.
- Draft data (saved uncertified data) will not be visible to CDE program staff or the public except as follows:
- CARS service desk staff will be provided access in order to allow them to troubleshoot issues.
- The LEA authorizes read only access to a CDE program staff person.
- Only LEAs can modify their data. CDE staff should not, under any circumstances, modify an LEA’s data.