Meeting Minutes August 20, 2012
Instructional Quality CommissionAn advisory body to the California State Board of Education
Final Meeting Minutes:
August 20, 2012
(Approved on September 25, 2012)
Report of Action
August 20, 2012
3:30 to 5:30 p.m.
English Language Arts/English Language Development (ELA/ELD) Subject Matter Committee (SMC) Chair Jo Ann Isken called the meeting to order.
- Welcome and Introductions (Information)
Commissioners, California Department of Education (CDE) staff, and State Board of Education (SBE) staff present at the twelve sites participating in the conference call identified themselves.
The following Commissioners participated:
- Jo Ann Isken and Cynthia Gunderson at Lennox School District
- Bill Honig in Mill Valley
- Angel Barrett at Los Angeles Unified School District
- Jose Dorado at Osceola Street Elementary School
- Marlene Galvan at Dinuba Unified School District
- Michelle Herczog at Los Angeles County Office of Education
- Lori Freiermuth at Olympian High School College Center
- Carla Herrera at ABC Unified School District
- Kristyn Bennett at Grace S. Thille Elementary School
- Julie Spykerman at Anaheim Union High School District
- Angie Estonina at San Francisco Unified School District
The following CDE staff members were present at the CDE, Sacramento:
- Tom Adams
- Tracie Yee
- Jim Long
- Laura Watson
- Kristen Cruz Allen
- Lillian Perez
- Nancy Brownell
- Karen Cadiero-Kaplan
The following SBE member and staff were present at the CDE, Sacramento:
- Beth Rice
- Jill Rice
The following public members were present:
- Nancy Brynelson, Center for the Advancement of Reading
- Della Larimore, Los Angeles County Office of Education
- Rosie Cardoza, Anaheim Union High School District
- Jackie Counts, Anaheim Union High School District
- Mike Matsuda, Anaheim Union High School District
- Guidelines for the Revision of the 2014 ELA/ELD Framework (Information)
The draft Curriculum Framework and Evaluation Criteria Committee Guidelines for the 2014 Revision of the English Language Arts/English Language Development Framework (2014 ELA/ELD Framework) were presented for review and edits in preparation for the September IQC meeting. Each member of the ELA/ELD SMC began the discussion of a section, with other ELA/ELD SMC and IQC members contributing additional comments. Suggested additions and edits were noted for Sections 1-7. Due to time constraints, the remaining two sections, plus a final review of the draft document, will be discussed at the scheduled informational ELA/ELD SMC teleconference meeting scheduled for September 10, 2012.
No actions were taken by the SMC.
- Public Comment
There were no public comments.
Chair Isken adjourned the meeting.