The Instructional Quality Commission (IQC), formerly called the Curriculum Development and Supplemental Materials Commission, is an advisory body to the California State Board of Education (SBE) on matters related to curriculum, instructional materials, and content standards in accordance with Education Code Section 33530-33540.
Note: Assembly Bill 250 (Chapter 608, Statutes of 2011) was signed on October 8, 2011 and takes effect on January 1, 2012. One significant change is to rename the Curriculum Development and Supplemental Materials Commission (Curriculum Commission) to the Instructional Quality Commission (IQC). Some of the first activities of the IQC will be revising curriculum frameworks and evaluation criteria aligned to the Common Core State Standards with California additions (CCSS) for mathematics and English language arts. The bill requires State Board of Education (SBE) policies to ensure that the English language arts curriculum frameworks for kindergarten through grade twelve (K-12) and instructional materials for kindergarten through grade eight (K-8) include the English language development standards and English language development strategies in the core subjects of mathematics, science, and history-social science. The bill also requires SBE policies to ensure that curriculum frameworks for K-12 and instructional materials for K-8 include strategies to address the needs of pupils with disabilities in the subjects of mathematics, science, history-social science, and English language arts.
Recent Action Items of the State Board of Education (SBE)
- 2013 Meeting Dates
- 2013 Public Meeting Notices, Agendas, Minutes
- 2012 Meeting Dates
- 2012 Public Meeting Notices, Agendas, Minute, and Webcast Archive
- 2010 Meeting Dates
- 2009 Curriculum Commission Meeting Notices, Agendas and Minutes
- Goals for 2009
- Goals for 2008
- Goals for 2007
- 2016 Revision of the Science Framework
- 2014 Mathematics Instructional Materials Adoption (K-8)
- 2013 Revision of the Mathematics Framework
- 2014 Revision of the English Language Arts/English Language Development Curriculum Framework
- Curriculum Frameworks & Instructional Materials
Subscription to receive information and updates regarding the Instructional Quality Commission.
- Application Information (2015 Recruitment Application is closed)
For appointment to the Instructional Quality Commission by the State Board of Education.