World Language Content StandardsInformation and resources related to World Language Content Standards for California Public Schools: Kindergarten Through Grade Twelve.
World Language Content Standards Development
The CDE, Instructional Quality Commission, and State Board of Education (SBE) are commencing the process for developing new California World Language Content Standards. Per Assembly Bill 2290, Chapter 643, Education Code (EC) Section 60605.13 requires the Superintendent, in consultation with the Instructional Quality Commission, to recommend to the state board revisions to the World Language Content Standards for California Public Schools adopted by the state board in 2009 pursuant to Section 60605.3.
Standards Revision Project Delay
Pursuant to the Governor's 2017-18 Budget: Omnibus Education Trailer Bill (PDF), the 2018 World Language Standards Revision project, called for above, has been delayed until January 2020. This delay affects the current Schedule of Significant Events (Timeline) (posted as an Instructional Quality Commission agenda item). As a result, the planned recruitment of educators for the WL Standards Advisory Committee (SAC), that was to take place in April 2017, will be rescheduled for a later date. In addition, the WL SAC meeting dates in the current Timeline must also be rescheduled.
Public notice of the resumption of this project, including the dates for the remaining milestones in a revised Timeline, will be posted to this Web page as soon as that information is available.
The CDE will convene three focus group meetings to provide input on guidelines that will be utilized by a group of World Language experts who will be tasked to develop the new standards. The meetings are open to the public.
- World Language Standards Focus Group Members
This list of appointed focus group members and their local educational agency affiliation is organized by meeting date.
- Focus Group Discussion Questions
At each focus group meeting, the focus group members will address a set of questions regarding the content for California’s revision of World Language standards. Interested stakeholders are invited to submit their responses to the discussion questions to the World Language standards mailbox at WorldLanguage@cde.ca.gov
- World Language Focus Group Public Meeting Notices/Agendas: The public meeting notices/agendas provide details on each focus group meeting. All focus group meetings are open to the public.
- California 2009 World Language Content Standards for California Public Schools (PDF)
- State Seal of Biliteracy
- World-Readiness Standards for Learning Languages
- Summary of World-Readiness Standards for Learning Languages
- California English Language Development Standards: Kindergarten Through Grade 12 (CA ELD Standards) (PDF)
- California Common Core State Standards for English Language Arts & Literacy in History/Social Studies, Science, and Technical Subjects (CA CCSS for ELA/Literacy) (PDF)
- Learning World Languages and Cultures in California (PDF)
- America’s Languages: Investing in Language Education for the 21st Century
- Join our listserv
We will send you notifications of updates regarding the World Language standards development process.