World Language Content StandardsInformation and resources related to World Language Content Standards for California Public Schools: Kindergarten Through Grade Twelve.
World Language Content Standards Development
The CDE, Instructional Quality Commission, and State Board of Education (SBE) are commencing the process for developing new California World Language Content Standards. Per Assembly Bill 2290, Chapter 643, Education Code (EC) Section 60605.5 requires the Superintendent, in consultation with the Instructional Quality Commission, to recommend to the state board revisions to the World Language Content Standards for California Public Schools adopted by the state board in 2009 pursuant to Section 60605.3.
Standards Revision Project Resumes
The suspension of the World Language (WL) Standards Revision Project imposed by the Governor’s proposed 2017–2018 Omnibus Budget in January has ended. In June 2017 the Governor signed the final 2017–2018 Budget, terminating the suspension and restoring funding to the project.
While the SBE will not take action on a newly revised Timeline for the project until September of 2017, the proposed recruitment of educators for the WL Standards Advisory Committee (SAC) is scheduled to proceed. The application submission period and the proposed WL SAC meetings dates included in the revised Timeline are:
- Application recruitment period: September–October 2017
- Proposed WL SAC meeting dates:
- February 1–2, 2018
- March 20–21, 2018
- May 24–25, 2018
- June 28–29, 2018
Final dates for these activities and the remaining milestones related to this project will be posted to this Web page soon after SBE action in September 2017. Please join our listserv to receive notifications of updates regarding the WL Standards Revision Project.
Instructional Quality Commission Meeting – July 24, 2017
Meeting to be held on first day of History-Social Science Adoption Deliberations
Posted Meeting Agenda and Items:
- Revised World Language Timeline (not yet approved by the SBE)
- Revised World Language Application for Appointment to Standards Advisory Committee (SAC) (not yet approved by the SBE) (DOC)
The CDE convened three focus group meetings to provide input on guidelines that will be utilized by a group of World Language experts who will be tasked to develop the new standards. The meetings, now concluded, were open to the public.
- World Language Standards Focus Group Members
This list of appointed focus group members and their local educational agency affiliation is organized by meeting date.
- Focus Group Discussion Questions
At each focus group meeting, the focus group members addressed a set of questions regarding the content for California’s revision of World Language standards. Interested stakeholders are invited to submit their responses to the discussion questions to the World Language standards mailbox at WorldLanguage@cde.ca.gov
- World Language Focus Group Public Meeting Notices/Agendas: The public meeting notices/agendas provide details on each focus group meeting.
- California 2009 World Language Content Standards for California Public Schools (PDF)
- State Seal of Biliteracy
- World-Readiness Standards for Learning Languages
- Summary of World-Readiness Standards for Learning Languages
- California English Language Development Standards: Kindergarten Through Grade 12 (CA ELD Standards) (PDF)
- California Common Core State Standards for English Language Arts & Literacy in History/Social Studies, Science, and Technical Subjects (CA CCSS for ELA/Literacy) (PDF)
- Learning World Languages and Cultures in California (PDF)
- America’s Languages: Investing in Language Education for the 21st Century
- Join our listserv
We will send you notifications of updates regarding the World Language standards development process.