Visual and Performing Arts Content StandardsInformation and resources related to the Visual and Performing Arts content standards for students in Pre-kindergarten and Grades 1-12.
Visual and Performing Arts Content Standards Revision
The CDE, Instructional Quality Commission, and State Board of Education (SBE) are commencing the process for revising the California Visual and Performing Arts (VAPA) content standards. California Education Code. Section 60605.13, calls for the Superintendent, in consultation with the Instructional Quality Commission, to recommend to the state board revisions to the current visual and performing arts content standards, that are based upon the National Core Arts Standards, on or before January 31, 2019.
Standards Revision Project Resumes
The suspension of the VAPA Standards Revision Project, imposed by the Governor’s proposed 2017–2018 Omnibus Budget in January 2017, has ended. In June 2017, the Governor signed the final 2017–2018 Budget, terminating the suspension and restoring funding to the project.
While the SBE will not take action on a newly revised Timeline for the project until September of 2017, the proposed recruitment of educators for the VAPA Standards Advisory Committee (SAC) is scheduled to proceed. The application submission period and the proposed VAPA SAC meetings dates included in the revised Timeline are:
- Application recruitment period: September–October 2017
- Proposed VAPA SAC meeting dates:
- February 13-14, 2018
- March 7-8, 2018
- April 4-5, 2018
- May 3-4, 2018
Instructional Quality Commission Meeting – July 24, 2017
Meeting to be held on first day of History-Social Science Adoption Deliberations
Posted Meeting Agenda and Items:
- Revised VAPA Timeline (Not yet approved by SBE)
- Revised VAPA Application for Appointment to Standards Advisory Committee (SAC) (Not yet approved by SBE) (DOC)
Final dates for these activities and the remaining milestones related to this project will be posted to this Web page soon after SBE action in September 2017.
The CDE will convene three focus group meetings to provide input on guidelines that will be utilized by a group of arts education experts who will be tasked to develop the new standards. The meetings are open to the public.
- VAPA Focus Group Members
This list of appointed focus group members and their local educational agency affiliation is organized by meeting date.
- Focus Group Discussion Questions
At each focus group meeting, the focus group members will address a set of questions regarding the content for California’s revision of Visual and Performing Arts Standards. Interested stakeholders are invited to submit their responses to the discussion questions to the visual and performing arts mailbox at VAPA@cde.ca.gov.
- Focus Group Meetings Public Meeting Notices/Agendas The public meeting notices/agendas provide details on each focus group meeting. All focus group meetings are open to the public.
- Create/CA: California's Statewide Arts Education Coalition
- ArtsEdSearch is the nation's hub for research on the impact of the arts in education
- PBS Newshour Interview: Violinist Joshua Bell turns train station into concert hall to encourage arts education