Meeting Minutes July 23, 2012
Instructional Quality CommissionAn advisory body to the California State Board of Education
Final Meeting Minutes:
July 23, 2012
(Approved on September 25, 2012)
Report of Action
July 23, 2012
2 to 3:30 p.m.
English Language Arts/English Language Development (ELA/ELD) Subject Matter Committee (SMC) Chair Jo Ann Isken called the meeting to order.
- Welcome and Introductions (Information)
Commissioners, CDE staff, and SBE staff present at the ten sites participating in the conference call identified themselves.
The following Commissioners participated:
- Jo Ann Isken in Bloomington, IN
- Bill Honig in Mill Valley
- Angel Barrett at Los Angeles Unified School District
- Jose Dorado at Osceola Street Elementary School
- Marlene Galvan at Dinuba Unified School District
- Michelle Herczog at Los Angeles County Office of Education
- Lori Freiermuth at Sweetwater Union High School District Central Office
- Kristyn Bennett in Running Springs
- Angie Estonina at San Francisco Unified School District
The following CDE staff members were present at the CDE, Sacramento:
- Tom Adams
- Tracie Yee
- Deborah Franklin
- Cynthia Gunderson
- Jim Long
- Carrie Roberts
- Laura Watson
- Kristen Cruz Allen
- Lillian Perez
- Nancy Brownell
The following SBE staff member was present at the CDE, Sacramento:
- Beth Rice
The following public member was present at the Los Angeles County Office of Education:
- Shelly Spiegel-Coleman, Californians Together
- ELA/ELD Focus Group Report (Information)
Cynthia Gunderson, CDE staff member, provided a brief overview about the focus group meetings, the different sections of the report, and how the report will guide the development of the ELA/ELD guidelines and the work of the Curriculum Framework and Evaluation Criteria Committee (CFCC). One editorial change was noted on the introduction page. To assist in preparation of the draft guidelines, each of the ELA/ELD SMC members led a discussion for a section from Appendix B, Summary of Oral Comments by Topic, highlighting key issues. The ELA/ELD Focus Group report will be included in the September 23–24 ELA/ELD SMC and Instructional Quality Commission (IQC) agenda handouts. Following the discussion of the focus group report, additional comments were noted on the importance of engaging in civic life and awareness of the environment when preparing students for college and career.
No actions were taken by the SMC.
- Public Comment
There were no public comments.
Chair Isken adjourned the meeting.