Final Meeting Minutes:
September 10, 2012
(Approved on September 25, 2012)
Report of Action
September 10, 2012
3:30 to 5:10 p.m.
English Language Arts/English Language Development (ELA/ELD) Subject Matter Committee (SMC) Chair Jo Ann Isken called the meeting to order.
- Welcome and Introductions (Information) Commissioners and CDE staff present at the eleven sites participating in the conference call identified themselves.
The following Commissioners participated:
- Jo Ann Isken and Cynthia Gunderson at Lennox School District
- Bill Honig in Mill Valley
- Angel Barrett at Los Angeles Unified School District
- Jose Dorado at Osceola Street Elementary School
- Marlene Galvan at Dinuba Unified School District
- Michelle Herczog at Los Angeles County Office of Education
- Kristyn Bennett at Grace S. Thille Elementary School
- Angie Estonina at San Francisco Unified School District
- Lori Freiermuth at Olympian High School
- Carla Herrera at ABC Unified School District
The following CDE staff members were present at the CDE, Sacramento:
- Tom Adams
- Tracie Yee
- Jim Long
- Kristen Cruz Allen
- Lillian Perez
- Nancy Brownell
The following public members were present:
- Nancy Brynelson, Center for the Advancement of Reading
- Hallie Yopp Slowik, Center for the Advancement of Reading
- Ileana Davalos, Los Angeles Unified
- Katie McGrath, Los Angeles Unified
- Karla Quiñones, John F. Kennedy Academy (Dinuba)
- Magdalena Ruz Gonzalez, Los Angeles County Office of Education
- ELA/ELD Curriculum Framework and Evaluation Criteria Committee Member Selection and Recommendation Process (Information)
Staff reviewed the handouts members received in preparation for appointment of members to the Curriculum Framework and Evaluation Criteria Committee (CFCC), including the individual application packets, summary sheet of all applicants, and a nomination worksheet. To help streamline the compilation and discussion of applicants, all ELA/ELD SMC and other Instructional Quality Commission (IQC) members were asked to submit their nomination worksheet to staff before September 18. The appointment process and list of applicants will be discussed and finalized at the September 24 meeting.
- Guidelines for the Revision of the 2014 ELA/ELD Framework (Information)
Due to time constraints, not all sections of the draft Curriculum Framework and Evaluation Criteria Committee Guidelines for the 2014 Revision of the English Language Arts/English Language Development Framework (2014 ELA/ELD Framework) were discussed at the August 20 meeting. A revised draft with edits from the August meeting was included in the agenda for discussion. The final two sections, 8 and 9, were reviewed and revised with suggested edits. Members clarified some of the suggested changes. An updated version of the draft guidelines will be forwarded to all ELA/ELD SMC and IQC members for discussion and approval at the September 24–25 meeting. The final draft will be forwarded to the State Board of Directors for approval in November.
No actions were taken by the SMC.
- Public Comment
There were no public comments.
Chair Isken adjourned the meeting.