Federal Cash Management Data Collection (CMDC)
Frequently Asked Questions
- What programs are using the CMDC?
The CMDC was piloted during the 2009-10 fiscal year using the Title II, Part A Teacher Improvement program. Because the pilot program worked successfully, the CDE has now added Title I, Part A and Title I, Part D, Subpart 2 and Title III LEP and Title III Immigrant to the CMDC system in order to comply with the federal cash management requirement. Apportionments to be paid quarterly for these three programs will be based on the cash balance reported by the LEAs on the CMDC system.
- Why do I need to submit data on CMDC?
Federal regulations require that recipients of federal funds minimize the time elapsing between the receipt and expenditure of funds. The CMDC system provides the data to CDE that enables it to make apportionments based on the LEA’s cash balance, as required by the regulations.
- How are apportionments calculated under CMDC?
Apportionments for Title I, Part A, Title I, Part D, Subpart 2, Title II, Part A, Title III LEP and Title III Immigrant will be calculated based on the cash balance submitted. The apportionment will equal the difference between 25% of the LEA's annual entitlement, and cash balance up to the entitlement amount. Apportionments for a particular fiscal year will be paid after the allocations for any prior year grant award(s) have been fully paid, unless the authority to obligate those funds has expired.
- Do I submit a CMDC report for each of the 3 programs under CMDC?
The CMDC report will display a line for each of the programs for which an LEA has an entitlement, so only one report has to be submitted each period.
- What happens if I don’t submit a CMDC report?
If you fail to submit a CMDC report for a particular reporting period, CDE will not apportion funds to your LEA for that period. The CDE will release funding in the subsequent period if your LEA appropriately submits cash balance data that warrants the release.
- When will my district receive the apportionment?
The CDE sends out apportionments approximately one month after the closing day of the preceding reporting window.
- How does CMDC affect my entitlement for this fiscal year?
CMDC does not affect your annual entitlement amount, only the amount to be paid quarterly from your entitlement.
- My charter school is new. It just opened this year. Do I need to submit CMDC?
An exception to requiring the CMDC report as a condition of receiving an apportionment applies to a new direct funded charter school in its first year of operation, where there may be no cash balance data to report. The CDE will release 25 percent of the Title I, Part A, Title I, Part D, Subpart 2, Title II, Part A, Title III LEP, and Title III Immigrant allocations for the reporting period when the new school is first eligible for funds, without requiring a CMDC report. The school, however, may still wish to submit cash management data during the applicable collection period if it has expended any cash on these programs before receiving funds from the CDE. The school has to submit cash management data in subsequent reporting periods to receive additional release(s) of funding.
- Does the CMDC replace the ConApp and/or other required expenditure reports? I already submitted an expenditure report on ConApp or to the program office. Why do I have to submit it again?
The data required on the expenditure report is not the same data required on the CMDC report. The data components and timing of submission of the ConApp and/or expenditure report are not adequate to carry out our federal cash management program. The cash balance data is needed to determine the amount of funds to release to LEAs quarterly to comply with federal regulations. Questions regarding the expenditure reports should be directed to the appropriate program office contact. For ConApp reports, the CDE contact is shown at the top of each ConApp page. For Title II, Part A, please contact Lynda Nichols, by phone at 916-323-5822 or by e-mail at email@example.com or Jackie Rose, by phone at 916-322-9503 or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org. For Title III, contact Patty Stevens at 916-323-5838 or by e-mail at email@example.com.
- My LEA does not have a Title I, Part A, Title I, Part D, Title II, Part A, Title III LEP and/or Title III Immigrant grant for the current year; do I have to submit a CMDC report?
It depends. The cash balance data collected on the CMDC report each period is used to determine the amount of funds to release to an LEA.
- You do not need to submit a CMDC report if your LEA does not have any unpaid entitlements for grants awarded in the last two preceding years.
- You should submit a CMDC report if your LEA has any unpaid entitlements for grants awarded in the last two proceeding years in order to have these funds released to your LEA.
- You can check your LEA’s entitlements by program and fiscal year on CDE’s categorical program Web page. by referring to the links Title I, Part A, and Title I, Part D, Subpart 2, Title II, Part A and Title III.
- When you ask for cash balance, what cut off date should I use?
While you can submit data at any time during the reporting window, it will be to your agency’s advantage to submit data as close as possible to the reporting deadline; cash balances may be lower by that date, and reporting the lower balance will maximize the amount of funds your agency may receive in the next apportionment.
- What if my cash balance is negative?
The CMDC accepts negative cash balances. Simply type a negative indicator (–) before typing the whole dollar amount into the system. Because apportionments are calculated as the difference between the cash balance and 25% of the yearly entitlement, a negative cash balance will result in an apportionment of 25% of the entitlement plus the negative amount. For instance, if a cash balance of $-250 is submitted for an LEA with a yearly entitlement of $500, the calculated apportionment will be 25% of 500+250 or $125+250=$375.
- I cannot log on to the CMDC system right now. Why?
Several reasons may prevent you from logging on.
- The reporting window is not active. You can log on to the CMDC system only when a reporting window is active. Refer to the CMDC Reporting Dates.
- Your LEA may not have an entitlement for Title I, Part A, Title I, Part D, Title II, Part A, Title III LEP or Title III Immigrant in the current year or last two preceding years. You can check your LEA’s entitlements for each fiscal year on CDE’s categorical program Web page. [http://www.cde.ca.gov/fg/aa/ca/].
- You may have used an incorrect PIN. Refer to Question 1 to retrieve the correct PIN.
If you are having difficulties during an active reporting window, please contact the CMDC coordinator at FederalCashManagement@cde.ca.gov, or 916-327-4406.
- How can I get the PIN for my LEA?
If you do not have the assigned PIN, click the “Request PIN” link on the Logon Screen page and then enter the requested information on the resulting page, and the PIN will be resent to the superintendent or administrator e-mail address on file. If you have not updated your superintendent’s or administrator’s information on the CDE’s California School Directory, please contact the California School Directory staff by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Also, check the spam and junk mail filters and add FederalCashMangement@cde.ca.gov to the address book or safe list to ensure it reaches the inbox.
- Can the PIN be sent to someone other than the individual on file?
The California Department of Education (CDE) will send the PIN only to the individual on file as reflected on the California School Directory. This individual can then delegate cash management reporting functions to another person as he/she deems appropriate and provide the PIN to that person.
Refer to the Contact Information Section of the Instructions.
- The system will not take my submission. It says there is a submission error. What did I do wrong?
The system is designed to take only numeric characters. The negative sign (-) is the only exception. Dollar signs ($), commas (,) decimal points (.) or other non numeric characters will prevent your submission from being recorded by the system. If cash balance is zero, enter 0.
- How do I know I successfully submitted data to CDE?
You must check the box at the bottom of the Data Collection page of the CMDC system and click the “Submit” button. A data submission report will appear on your screen displaying the submitted data, the name of the person who submitted the data, and the date and time of the submission. You will be able to print or save a PDF copy of the data submitted for your records.
Refer to the Data Submission Section of the Instructions.
- We’ve submitted our CMDC report for the quarter for the three programs, but found out we need to revise the cash balance for one of them. Can we submit a revised report?
If you successfully submitted CMDC data, you will receive a prompt the next time you logon during the same reporting period stating the date and time of your last submission. To make any revisions, follow the same process outlined above and resubmit all data fields for the applicable ESEA programs before the reporting deadline.
- How can I be included in future CDE communications regarding CMDC reporting?
Please subscribe to our Federal Cash Management mailing list.
- What if I have more questions?
If you still need clarification after referring to the Federal Cash Management Instructions, e-mail your question to FederalCashManagement@cde.ca.gov.