First, make sure that your user name is correct. If the user name is incorrect, the system will give an “Invalid logon” message in red lettering. To reset your password:
- Enter your user name.
- Click “Forgot Password” link (this takes you into the Centralized Authentication System [CAS]). The CAS is the California Department of Education's system for establishing a CARS user account, and managing user information.
- Enter your user name in CAS.
- Enter your e-mail address.
- Answer one of the two questions that you chose when you created your user name and password.
- Click Submit.
- A message comes back saying that an e-mail has been sent. If you don’t receive the e-mail in your inbox, please check your junk mail. The e-mail will contain a long Temporary ID, highlight it up to the period, hit Ctrl c (to copy) then click on the link that is in the e-mail. If the link in the e-mail is not a live link, then the link will need to be copied and pasted into a browser before the Temporary ID is copied and pasted into CARS.
- Make sure the cursor is in the Temporary ID field, and hit Ctrl v (to paste).
- Type a new password in the second field. Passwords must meet the following criteria: Be at least eight characters long, one uppercase, one lowercase, one number, and one special character, such as !@#$%^&*.
- Type the new password again in the third field.
- Click the Enter key or Submit button.
If everything was done correctly, the system will indicate in black lettering that your password is successful.
Important Note: CAS is a separate system from CARS. There is not a link from CAS to CARS. Once a password reset is complete the user will need to exit CAS and go to the CARS logon site.