Modernization of the E-Rate ProgramAttachment to August 16 letter seeking constituent comments on what should or should not change when regarding all aspects of the E-rate program.
Page 1 of 2
Asking all constituents to make comments regarding the E-Rate Program
The complete Notice of Proposed Rulemaking (NPRM) document is available on the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) Web page .
The FCC is examining all aspects of the E-rate program and is asking you, the constituency, to make comments on what should or should not change. The NPRM proposes several major changes to the program and seeks comments on 300-plus other issues.
Key areas of focus that the FCC is seeking comments on are:
- If support should be phased out for all voice telecommunications services
- If support should be eliminated for all basic maintenance, web hosting, and e-mail services
- If support should be eliminated for administrative functions not directly tied to instruction in the classroom
- If the discount matrix should be changed and if the maximum discount level should be reduced
- Comments on what constitutes an effective network
- How to best accomplish data collection efforts such as bandwidth delivery to the classroom
The deadline to submit comments is September 16, 2013, with reply comments due on October 16, 2013.
All filings related to this NPRM shall refer to WC Docket No. 13-184. Comments may be filed using the Commission’s Electronic Comment Filing System or by filing paper copies.
- Electronic Filers: Comments may be filed electronically using the Internet by accessing the Electronic Comment Filing System Web site .
- Paper Filers: Parties who choose to file by paper must file an original and one copy of each filing.
Page 2 of 2
- Filings can be sent by hand or messenger delivery, by commercial overnight courier, or by first-class or overnight U.S. Postal Service mail. All filings must be addressed to the Commission’s Secretary, Office of the Secretary, Federal Communications Commission.
- All hand-delivered or messenger-delivered paper filings for the Commission’s Secretary must be delivered to FCC Headquarters at 445 12th St. SW, Room TW-A325, Washington, DC 20554. The filing hours are 8:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. All hand-deliveries must be held together with rubber bands or fasteners. Any envelopes or boxes must be disposed of before entering the building.
- Commercial overnight mail (other than U.S. Postal Service Express Mail and Priority Mail) must be sent to 9300 East Hampton Drive, Capitol Heights, MD 20743.
- U.S. Postal Service First-class, Express, and Priority mail must be addressed to 445 12th Street SW, Washington, DC 20554.