Educational standards describe what students should know and be able to do in each subject in each grade. In California, the State Board of Education decides on the standards for all students, from kindergarten through high school. The California Department of Education helps schools make sure that all students are meeting the standards.In 2010, a number of states across the nation have adopted the same standards for English and math. These standards are called the Common Core State Standards (CCSS). Having the same standards helps all students get a good education, even if they change schools or move to a different state. Teachers, parents, and education experts designed the CCSS to prepare students for success in college and the workplace.
Provided by the Council of Great City Schools, this three-minute video explains how the Common Core State Standards will help students achieve at high levels and help them learn what they need to know to get to graduation and beyond. This video is also available in Spanish. Please visit the CGCS Common Core Videos Web page .
California Common Core State Standards
- The Adoption Process
- English Language Arts and Literacy in History/Social Studies, Science, and Technical Subjects, Publication Version (PDF; 2MB; Modified Mar-2013)
- Mathematics, Publication Version (PDF; 3MB; Modified Jan-2013)
- Spanish Translations of the CCSS are available on the Common Core en Español Web Site
The Common Core State Standards Initiative
- Common Core State Standards Initiative
The multi-state initiative released the CCSS on June 2, 2010. The initiative site includes information about the development and research behind the standards, appendices, the states that have adopted the CCSS, and frequently asked questions.
- English Language Arts Standards - Appendix A
Research Supporting Key Elements of the Standards and Glossary of Terms
- English Language Arts Standards - Appendix B
Text Exemplars and Sample Performance Tasks
- English Language Arts Standards - Appendix C
Samples of Student Writing
- Mathematics Standards - Appendix A
Designing High School Mathematics Courses Based on the CCSS
Send your Common Core questions to: