Skip to content
Printer-friendly version

AIEOC February 2012 Advisory

American Indian Education Oversight Committee (AIEOC) February 2012 Advisory.

American Indian Education Oversight Committee

Date: February 7, 2012
To: Tom Torlakson, State Superintendent of Public Instruction
From: Laura Lee George, Chair, American Indian Education Oversight Committee
RE: Reinstatement of Non-Prop 98 Dollars 6110-152-0001

The American Indian Education Oversight Committee (AIEOC) met on January 25, 2012, and unanimously voted that I send you this advisory regarding the Non-Prop 98 dollars that have been zeroed from the Governor’s budget.

Background: The American Indian Education Centers are funded from both Prop 98 and Non-Prop 98 funding. Over the past three years, the Centers have taken approximately a 15 percent cut in the Prop 98 funding. By eliminating the Non-Prop 98 funds, the Centers will take another $376,000 cut—approximately another 10 percent cut to their overall budgets. Cuts to both the Prop 98 and Non-Prop 98 funding come to a total cut of approximately 25 percent of Center funding. This is a higher percentage cut than other programs. Centers will be further decreasing their services to American Indian students.

Recommendation: The AIEOC recommends that the State Superintendent of Public Instruction advocate for reinstatement of the Non-Prop 98 funding that is currently zeroed from the Governor’s budget.

Questions: Judy Delgado | judelgado@cde.ca.gov | 916-319-0506 
Download Free Readers