March 2013 Meeting MinutesMarch 18, 2013, meeting minutes for the American Indian Education Oversight Committee.
American Indian Education Oversight Committee Meeting Minutes
March 18, 2013
Committee members Present: Laura Lee George (Chair), André Cramblit (Parliamentarian), Amber Machamer (Vice Chair), Deborah DeForge, Rodney Lindsay, Kathleen Marshall, Rachel McBride, Irma Amaro, Russell“Butch” Murphy, Helen Doherty
California Department of Education (CDE) Staff Present: Judy Delgado, and Chavela Delp
Guests: Robert Brown, Hunwut Turner, Niki Sandoval, Denise Dion
Meeting convened at 10:00 a.m.
Item 1―U.S. Department of Education, Office of Indian Education Update
Presented Via Teleconference by Joyce Silverthorne, Director, Office of Indian Education
- An update on the Office of Indian Education was presented.
- There is a total of 1,302 Title VII grantees, with a total of 100 in California, serving 29,000 students.
Item 2―CDE Updates
Presented by Judy Delgado, American Indian Education Consultant, CDE
- Update on the implications of Categorical Flexibility being repealed for fiscal year 2013–14 and the possibility of releasing a competitive application in July 2013.
Robert Brown—Asked if the American Indian Education Centers (AIEC) will be receiving an increase in funding.
Judy Delgado—The AIEC Program Budget line item shows a 2 percent Cost of Living Adjustment increase.
Rachel McBride—Asked if there is any way that the Request for Application (RFA) can get approved sooner (than how long it took the Tobacco-Use Prevention Education Program application), because they don’t want a gap in funding.
Rodney Lindsay—Asked if CDE can give a timeline.
Butch Murphy—Because the gap in funding and the small amount of funding, there may be layoffs.
Laura Lee George—Asked for a motion to write an advisory to the State Superintendent of Public Instruction (SSPI), Tom Torlakson, to expedite the RFA approval process. Rodney Lindsay moved to approve writing an advisory to the SSPI to expedite the RFA approval process. Rachel McBride seconded. All in favor.
- The State Board of Education (SBE)—American Indian Advisory Committee has still not been created.
Niki Sandoval—Will look into this once she has been confirmed to be on the SBE.
Item 3―Public Comment
Laura Lee George—Asked for public comment.
Niki Sandoval—Gives an update on the AIEC Survey. Of the 27 AIECs, 74 percent responded to the survey.
Item 4―Northern California Preparation and Retention of Indian Educators
Presented by Denise Dion, California State University, Chico (CSUC)
- The Northern California Preparation and Retention of Indian Educators (NorCAL PRIE) was presented. The School of Education at CSUC, in partnership with Mooretown Rancheria of Maidu Indians, Tyme Maidu Tribe-Berry Creek Rancheria, Enterprise Rancheria Estom Yumeka Maidu Tribe, Mechoopda Indian Tribe of Chico Rancheria, and Four Winds of Indian Education, Inc. has been awarded one of 22 national grants to improve educational opportunities and achievement for American Indian children. This project provides professional development for individuals of American Indian descent who serve in the education field. In September 2012, CSUC was awarded a $1.2 million grant for a four-year cycle.
Item 5―The State of American Indian and Alaska Native Education in California Report
Presented by Joely Proudfit, California Indian Culture & Sovereignty Center, California State University, San Marcos
- The State of American Indian and Alaska Native Education in California Report was presented. This report compiles data to provide much-needed information about American Indian/Alaskan Natives in K–12, community college, California State University, and University of California systems. The data includes enrollment, graduation rates, dropout rates, degrees conferred, and personnel by race/ethnicity. This is all public data.
- It would be nice to include data from the AIECs.
Item 6―American Indian Education Oversight Committee (AIEOC) Annual Report for 2012
Presented by André Cramblit, Parliamentarian, AIEOC
- This report will include information on the achievements of the AIEOC as well as discussion of the academic status of American Indian students in California.
Laura Lee George—Edits to the content can be made, however, no substantial changes can be made.
André Cramblit—Recommends that the Advisory be posted separately.
Item 7―Committee Business
Laura Lee George—Asked for a motion to approve January 7, 2013, meeting minutes with a proposed change. André Cramblit moved to approve the minutes with the change. Deborah DeForge seconded. All in favor.
Laura Lee George—Next meeting will be July 15, 2013, at the CDE.
Laura Lee George—Asked for a motion to adjourn the meeting. Helen Doherty moved to adjourn the meeting. Kathleen Marshall seconded. All in favor.