The following provide helpful information about independent study rules, regulations, and effective practices.
- Independent Study Summary
Information on the purpose, services, funding, and students served.
- Quick Guide to Independent Study
Essential elements of independent study including the types of programs, key legal requirements, written or master agreements, local board policy, funding, attendance, etc.
- Frequently Asked Questions About Independent Study
- Independent Study Operations Manual
A resource for educators and parents/guardians/caregivers that provides critical information about independent study in California schools.
- Legal Requirements for Independent Study
A comprehensive list of basic requirements for operating a legally compliant independent study program.
- Sample Independent Study Written Agreement (DOC; Revised 24-Sep-2012)
Provides an example of a legally compliant independent study agreement, including legal citations for all required elements.
- Federal Teacher Requirements for Independent Study
Information on meeting federal requirements for highly qualified teachers in independent study.
- Instructions for Ratio Calculations
Complete guidelines on how to calculate teacher-to-average daily attendance ratios for independent study, with examples.
- Guide to Evaluating Your Independent Study Practices (DOC; Revised 04-Oct-2012)
A tool for evaluating independent study practices.
- Exemplary Independent Study
- Online Education Resources
Helpful links to offices, documents, and programs.