Smarter Balanced is committed to providing formative resources, tools, and professional learning opportunities for educators to tailor instruction based on student needs. The Digital Library, which is scheduled for release in 2014, is a critical component of the Smarter Balanced system of assessments that will include a variety of resources to improve teaching and learning. It is interactive and allows educators from member states to use and rate resources and collaborate.
State Network of Educators (SNE)
The SNE is a team of approximately 150 California educators that will evaluate professional learning resources for inclusion in the Smarter Balanced Digital Library. Between September 2013 and September 2014, members of the SNE will:
- Participate in five web-based trainings
- Propose and review content for the Digital Library
- Provide feedback on the resources and the usability of the Digital Library
Member Requirements and Reimbursement
Members of the SNE are K-12 and higher education professionals who meet all of the following requirements:
- Expertise in the Common Core State Standards
- Expertise in formative assessment tools and practices
- Experience teaching one or more of the following student groups: general education; gifted and talented; English learners; and students with disabilities.
The time commitment for members of the State Network of Educators will vary from month to month, but the estimated average is 8-10 hours per month.
There will be no travel required for participation in the State Network of Educators. All training and work will be conducted remotely via the Internet. There will be some flexibility for members in scheduling participation in training and reviews.
SNE members are eligible for a $1,500 stipend and will have early access to the resources and collaboration tools and use them for their professional learning.
The application window for SNE members closed on June 14, 2013.
If you have any questions regarding this subject, please contact the CDE Statewide Assessment Transition Office by phone at 916-445-8517 or by e-mail at email@example.com.