Certificated Staff Mentoring ProgramFrequently Asked Questions (FAQs) about how the Certificated Staff Mentoring Program is affected by the flexibility provisions in Senate Bill 4 of the 2009-10 Third Extraordinary Session (SBX3 4).
Please note that this information is provided for historical purposes. Funds for the Certificated Staff Mentoring Program were made flexible under the 2009 legislation. The 2013 Local Control Funding Formula (LCFF) legislation repealed the flexibility provisions and instead, eliminated funding streams for many categorical programs, including the Certificated Staff Mentoring Program. Categorical funding received in 2012–13 forms the basis for determining school funding in the phase-in period under the LCFF. See the categorical program topic in the LCFF FAQ page [http://www.cde.ca.gov/fg/aa/lc/lcfffaq.asp#CAT] for additional information.
Refer to the Fiscal Issues Relating to Budget Reductions and Flexibility Provisions guidance letter [http://www.cde.ca.gov/fg/fr/eb/yr09budgetacts.asp] for information on provisions that apply to all programs. The letter covers such matters as the public hearing requirement, base year funding provisions, and how funding reductions will be calculated.
- Are there conditions placed upon local educational agencies (LEAs) seeking to utilize the flexibility provision of SBX3 4?
Per SBX3 4 Section 15, Education Code Section 42605(c)(2), “As a condition of receipt of funds the governing board of the school district or board of the county office of education, as appropriate, at a regularly scheduled open public hearing shall take testimony from the public, discuss, and approve or disapprove the proposed use of funding.” No other conditions are placed on the use of flexibility.
- Will mentor teachers currently supporting beginning teachers and interns continue to receive a stipend/portion of stipend mid-year?
LEAs may use the funds provided by the Certificated Staff Mentoring Program (CSMP) for any educational purpose including the continued support of the CSMP. The use of the funds is a local decision.
- Will funds for this program stay within the realm of categorical program activities related to professional development, or will they be able to be used for other educational purposes?
LEAs may use the funds provided by the CSMP for any educational purpose.
- If an LEA uses the flexibility provision of SBX3 4, Section 15, Education Code Section 42605(d) will it be considered to be in compliance with the requirements of CSMP?
Yes. LEAs may utilize all of their CSMP funds to provide services for the program or they may use all or part of their CSMP funds for other educational purposes and/or other categorical programs. LEAs will be deemed to be in compliance with the CSMP and funding requirements contained in statutory, regulatory, and provisional language.
- Will funds allocated for this grant program be available to all LEAs not participating in this program in 2008-09? Which LEAs will receive CSMP funds in 2009-10?
Only LEAs that have applied and are currently receiving funds for CSMP will receive CSMP funds in from 2008-09 through 2012-13, depending upon budget appropriation.