Note: Please refer to the Fiscal Issues Relating to Budget Reductions and Flexibility Provisions guidance letter for information on provisions that apply to all programs. The letter covers such matters as the public hearing requirement, base year funding provisions, and how funding reductions will be calculated.
In addition, local educational agencies (LEAs) that are in Year 3 or beyond of Program Improvement should review the Program Improvement frequently asked questions (available later). Certain flexibility provisions will have a different impact on those LEAs.
- Are there conditions placed upon LEAs seeking to utilize the flexibility provision of SBX3 4?
Per SBX3 4 Section 15, Education Code Section 42605(c)(2), “As a condition of receipt of funds the governing board of the school district or the county office of education, as appropriate, at a regularly scheduled open public hearing shall take testimony from the public, discuss, and approve or disapprove the proposed use of funding.” No other conditions are placed on the use of flexibility.
- Do LEAs need to submit reimbursement requests to claim funds for 2008-09?
No. SB 472 funds—both payments—will be distributed to all districts once the funding calculations have been made.
- When will LEAs receive reimbursement for 2008-09 claims?
Once the funding calculations for both caps have been made, funds will be distributed to all districts. Claims will not be necessary.
- How will the CDE determine the amount of SB 472 funds each LEA will receive in 2009-10?
LEAs will receive the same amount—less the 2009-10 reduction—that they received in 2008-09.
- Will an LEA receive SB 472 funding during 2009-10 through 2012-13 if its teachers do not complete SB 472 professional development during those fiscal years?
Yes. Every district will receive SB 472 funding based on the funding formula caps regardless of attendance in the program. The amount will depend on the amount appropriated in the budget act.
- Is an LEA required to spend some portion of its funding for SB 472 professional development?
LEAs may utilize all of their Mathematics and Reading Professional Development Program funds to provide services for the program or they may use all or part of their funds for other educational purposes and/or other categorical programs. LEAs will be deemed to be in compliance with program and funding requirements contained in statutory, regulatory, and provisional language.