Immigrant Program OverviewThis page give a summary of the Immigrant program that is a part of Title III.
Under Title III, Part A, Section 3114(d)(1) of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act, the California Department of Education (CDE) is required to set aside funds to provide subgrant awards to local educational agencies (LEAs) that meet eligibility requirements for participation in the Immigrant Education Student Subgrant Program.
The term "eligible immigrant student" is defined in Title III, Section 3301(6) as an individual student who (a) is aged three through twenty-one; (b) was not born in any state (each of the 50 states, the District of Columbia, and the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico); and (c) has not been attending any one or more schools in the United States for more than three full school years.
Title III - Immigrant Education Program funds are to be specifically targeted to eligible immigrant students and their families through the provision of supplementary programs and services for the underlying purpose of assuring that these students meet the same challenging grade level and graduation standards as mainstream students.
The purpose of the Title III - Immigrant Education Program subgrants is to pay for enhanced instructional opportunities to immigrant students and their families. LEAs may choose from activities authorized by Title III.
- Family literacy, parent training, and community outreach
- Educational personnel, including teacher aides
- Tutorials, mentoring, and counseling
- Identification and acquisition of educational materials and technology
- Basic instructional services
- Other instructional services designed to assist immigrant students to achieve in elementary and secondary schools in the United States
- Activities coordinated with community-based organizations (CBOs), institutions of higher education (IHEs), or private sector entities that have expertise in working with immigrant students and their families
- LEAs may assess reasonable administrative costs and the approved indirect cost rate for this program