Skip to main content
California Department of Education Logo

Ed.G.E. Initiative FAQ

Frequently Asked Questions for the California Education for a Global Economy Initiative.

The California (CA) Education for a Global Economy (Ed.G.E.) Initiative, otherwise known as Proposition 58, was approved by voters in November 2016. These frequently asked questions are intended to assist local educational agencies (LEAs) in implementing the CA Ed.G.E. Initiative provisions. This collection represents frequently asked questions, and is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all possible questions.

Expand All | Collapse All

  1. What is the purpose of the CA Ed.G.E. Initiative?

    The purpose of the CA Ed.G.E. Initiative is to ensure that all children in California public schools receive the highest quality education, master the English language, and access high-quality, innovative, and research-based language programs that prepare them to participate in a global economy. (Education Code [EC] § 300(n).)

  2. When do these new provisions take effect?

    The CA Ed.G.E. Initiative takes effect July 1, 2017.

  3. What changes were made to EC by the CA Ed.G.E. Initiative?

    The CA Ed.G.E. Initiative amends EC sections 300, 305-6, 310, 320, and 335, and repeals section 311.

    A chart outlining the changed EC sections can be found on the California Department of Education (CDE) California Education for a Global Economy Web page.
  4. What are language acquisition programs?

    Language acquisition programs are educational programs designed to ensure English is acquired as rapidly and effectively as possible, and provide instruction to pupils on the academic content standards, including the English Language Development (ELD) standards. Language acquisition programs shall be informed by research and shall lead to grade level proficiency and academic achievement in both English and another language. (EC § 306(c).)

    Language acquisition programs may include, but are not limited to, all of the following:

    • Dual-Language Immersion (DLI)
    • Transitional or Developmental Bilingual
    • Structured English Immersion (SEI)

    (EC § 306(c)(1), (2), (3).)

  5. Can English-only students and non-English Learner students participate in language acquisition programs?

    Yes. The CA Ed.G.E. Initiative promotes language acquisition programs for all students with a desire to participate by learning a language in addition to English. (EC §§ 305(a)(1), (c), 306(c)(1).)

  1. What is a Dual Language Program or Two-Way Immersion Program?

    A DLI program provides integrated language and academic instruction for native speakers of English and native speakers of another language, with the goals of high academic achievement, first and second language proficiency, and cross-cultural understanding. (EC § 306(c)(1).)

    For more information, visit the CDE Two-Way Immersion Web page.
  1. What are Transitional and Developmental Bilingual programs?

    Transitional and Developmental Bilingual programs are those designed for English learners that provide instruction to pupils utilizing English and the pupil’s native language to develop literacy and academic proficiency. (EC § 306(c)(2).)

    Transitional Bilingual programs are designed for students to participate for approximately three years with the goal of transitioning to English-only instruction. Developmental Bilingual programs are designed for students to participate for approximately five to six years, with the goal of bilingualism and biliteracy  (Lindholm-Leary, (2010) Improving Education for English Learners: Research-Based Approaches, Chapter 6).

    For more information, visit the CDE Two-Way Immersion Web page.
  2. What is Structured English Immersion?

    The SEI program is designed for English learners, and provides nearly all classroom instruction in English, but with curriculum and a presentation designed for pupils who are learning English. All LEAs are to offer, at a minimum, an SEI program to English learners. (EC §§ 306(c)(3); 305(a)(2).)

  3. Are students required to be placed in an SEI class for 30 days before moving to another language acquisition program?

    Students are no longer required to be placed in an SEI class for 30 days. This requirement stemmed from EC Section 311, which was repealed with the passage of Proposition 58.

  4. Do English learners in language acquisition programs receive English Language Development instruction?

    All English learner students receive instruction on the ELD standards, based on the results of the current California English language proficiency test. For more information, visit the English Language Arts/English Language Development Framework, Chapter 2, on the SBE-Adopted ELA/ELD Framework Chapters Web page.

  5. May a parent request a particular language acquisition program for their child?

    Yes. Of those offered at the school, parents may request the language acquisition program that best suits their child. (EC § 310(a).)

  6. When does an LEA provide a language acquisition program requested by a parent?

    An LEA where schools in which the parents or legal guardians of 30 pupils or more per school or 20 pupils or more in any grade request a language acquisition program is required to offer such a program to the extent possible. (EC §310(a).)   

  7. How will parents know what types of language acquisition program are offered in the LEA?

    Either upon enrollment or as part of the annual parent notice required pursuant to Section 48980, LEAs will provide information to parents or legal guardians of students on the types of language acquisition programs available in the district, including, but not limited to, a description of each program. (EC § 310(b)(2).)

  8. How do LEAs engage the community in the selection or implementation of a language acquisition program?

    LEAs develop processes and procedures for parents to request a language acquisition program. As part of the development of the Local Control Accountability Plan (LCAP), LEAs document parent and community input regarding language acquisition programs. The non-English language should be at the discretion of the parents, community, and school, depending upon the linguistic and financial resources of the school community and other local considerations. (EC § 305(a)(1), (c).)

  9. Are parents of English learners required to fill out waivers to enroll their child in a language acquisition program?

    No. The requirement that English learners waive placement in an English classroom was repealed. (EC §§ 310, 311.)

  10. How might parents engage in the selection of language acquisition programs in their LEA?

    Parents and the community may provide input to the LEAs as part of the parent and community engagement process required for the development of the LCAP. (EC § 305(a)(1).)

  11. Where can LEAs find information about developing programs for linguistically and culturally diverse students?

    The California Department of Education has a list of resources with information about developing programs for linguistically and culturally diverse students.

    For more information, visit the CDE Two-Way Language Immersion Program Resources Web page.
  12. When will there be regulations for this section of the EC?

    It is anticipated the regulation process will start in April and proceed through the normal process that allows for public comment periods and review by the Office of Administrative Law. At this time, the CDE anticipates having regulations completed by May of 2018.

Questions:   Lorrie Kelling | | 916-319-0386
Last Reviewed: Wednesday, March 8, 2017
Recently Posted in English Learners
  • Ed.G.E. Initiative FAQ (added 08-Mar-2017)
    Frequently Asked Questions for the California Education for a Global Economy Initiative.
  • English Learners FAQ (added 16-Feb-2017)
    Frequently asked questions about services to English Learners.
  • SNOR Form and Directory (XLS) (added 14-Feb-2017)
    SNOR report form and directory of national origin and country codes.
  • February 24, 2017, EL Roadmap Agenda (added 07-Feb-2017)
    Public Meeting Notice and Agenda for the February 24, 2017, California English Learner Roadmap meeting.