Each California public school, grades kindergarten through 12, with 21 or more English learners must form an English Learner Advisory Committee (ELAC).
- The ELAC shall be responsible for advising the principal and staff on programs and services for English learners and the School Site Council on the development of the Single Plan for Student Achievement (SPSA).
- The ELAC shall assist the school in the development of:
- The school's needs assessment.
- The school's annual language census.
- Ways to make parents aware of the importance of regular school attendance.
Requirements for ELAC elections include:
- Parents of English learners comprise at least the same percentage of the ELAC membership as English learners constitute of the school’s total student population. For example, if 25 percent of the students in a school are English learners, then parents/guardians of English learners must comprise 25 percent of the ELAC membership.
- Other members of the ELAC can be parents/guardians, school staff, and /or community members as long as the minimum percentage requirement for EL parents is maintained.
- Parents or guardians of English learners must have an opportunity to elect the parent members to serve on the ELAC or subcommittee.
- Each ELAC shall have the opportunity to elect at least one member to the District English Learner Advisory Committee (DELAC).
- Districts with 31 or more ELACs may use a system of proportional or regional representation.
The district shall provide for all ELAC members:
- Appropriate training and materials to assist each member carry out his or her legally required advisory responsibilities.
- Training planned in full consultation with ELAC members.
- Economic Impact Aid-Limited English Proficient and/or district funds may be used to cover costs of training and attendance of ELAC members. This may include costs for child care, translation services, meals, transportation, training cost, and other reasonable expenses.
- California Education Code, sections 35147 (c), 52176 (b), and (c), 62002.5, and 64001 (a)
- California Code of Regulations, Title 5, Section 11308 (b), (c), and (d)