Dear Select CBEDS Coordinators:
California Basic Educational Data System Resources and Responsibilities
This letter is to inform California Basic Educational Data System (CBEDS) Coordinators of their responsibilities for collecting and submitting CBEDS data, to provide an update on reporting home-to-school transportation data for charter schools, and to provide coordinators with the resources they need to ensure a timely and successful submission of CBEDS data. The CBEDS data collection begins on Information Day, October 4, 2023, and data are to be submitted to the California Department of Education (CDE) on or before October 31, 2023. Note, for districts participating in the District of Choice program, the District of Choice Supplemental data are due to the CDE on or before October 16, 2023.
As your local educational agency’s (LEAs) CBEDS Coordinator, it is your responsibility to:
- Participate in the 40-minute online CBEDS training.
- Review the List of Expected Schools and work with your LEA’s County-District-School (CDS) Coordinator to report school closures, school name changes, and grade span changes.
- Provide CBEDS summary reports to the appropriate staff for review and approval prior to submission to the CDE.
- Ensure that accurate data for all schools in your LEA, excluding independently-reporting charter schools, are submitted in a timely fashion using the CBEDS Online Reporting Application (CBEDS-ORA).
- Serve as the point of contact for any questions about the data submitted.
- Maintain CBEDS contact information through CBEDS-ORA.
Updated Guidance on Reporting Home-to-School Transportation Data for Charter Schools
In the Changes to the Fall 2023 California Basic Educational Data System letter sent in June, we mentioned that charter authorizers must report data on behalf of their authorized charter schools that provide transportation services. Upon further clarification from the CDE’s School Fiscal Services Division, charter schools and charter authorizers do not receive transportation funding for transportation services provided to charter school students. Therefore, LEAs serving charter school students should exclude services provided to charter school students when reporting home-to-school transportation data.
In order to successfully complete the 2023–24 CBEDS data collection, CBEDS Coordinators should review the following resources, all of which are accessible via the CDE CBEDS web page at http://www.cde.ca.gov/ds/dc/cb/index.asp:
- The CBEDS Administrative Manual
- CBEDS Frequently Asked Questions
- The CBEDS training, which is a video consisting of Microsoft PowerPoint with voice-over narration and may be viewed at your leisure.
- Any additional resources the CDE makes available via the CDE CBEDS web, such as forms, letters, policies, and guidelines.
In addition, CBEDS Coordinators will need their List of Expected Schools and access to CBEDS-ORA. Details on each of these are described below.
List of Expected Schools
The List of Expected Schools includes the schools that your LEA is expected to report CBEDS data. It also indicates whether any of the schools in your LEA are independently reporting charter schools. The accuracy of this list is critical in the submission of your data, as inaccurate information may prevent the submission or processing of your data.
To access and review your LEA’s List of Expected Schools:
- Log on to the CDE CBEDS-ORA web page at http://www3.cde.ca.gov/opuscbeds/login.aspx.
- Enter your LEA’s user name and password.
- Select the “Logon” button.
- Select the “Expected Schools” option from the Main Menu.
If the List of Expected Schools is not accurate, please follow the instructions provided on the web page to make corrections.
CBEDS Online Reporting Application
CBEDS School Information Form (SIF), County District Information Form (CDIF), and District of Choice Supplemental (DOCS) data are collected through CBEDS-ORA. This online application contains formatted data entry screens, built-in validation checks, current and prior year data reports, and the ability to import and export data files. The CBEDS-ORA is located on the CDE website at http://www3.cde.ca.gov/opuscbeds/login.aspx and will be available for data entry and reporting beginning October 4.
CBEDS-ORA requires a user name and password to access the system. Your CDE-assigned LEA user name and password were provided via email in July. If you do not have your username or password, you may utilize the Retrieve Username/Password option on the CBEDS-ORA logon page, or contact CBEDS staff.
If we can be of any assistance as you prepare for the CBEDS data collection, or should you have any questions regarding the content of this letter, please contact CBEDS staff in the CBEDS/CDS Support Office by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Shana Yeary, Manager
CBEDS/CDS Support Office