OrganizationDepartment offices and links to Web pages where more information is available.
An overview of the entire California Department of Education (CDE) showing branches and divisions.
Tony Thurmond, State Superintendent of Public Instruction and Director of Education
Chief Deputy Superintendent of Public Instruction -- Dr. Stephanie Gregson
- Office of Equal Opportunity -- Sharon Felix-Campos, Manager
- Superintendent's Initiatives Office -- Mary Nicely, Senior Policy Advisor to the State Superintendent of Public Instruction
- Communications Division -- Daniel Thigpen, Director
- Government Affairs Division -- Elly Garner, Director
Branches and Divisions
Access for All Branch -- Kindra Britt, Deputy Superintendent of Public Instruction
- Career & College Transition Division -- Dr. Pradeep Kotamraju, Director
- State Special Schools & Services Division -- Robin Zane, Director
- Technology Services Division -- Rodney Okamoto, Director
- CDE Press -- Jesse Medina, Manager
Equity--Dr. Daniel Lee
Dr. Lee will be working to bring cohesion in all of the CDE's equity work, and will also facilitate our newly created counseling coalition to help support CDE’s organizational development around building counseling, social emotional learning (SEL), and other whole child programs.
Instruction & Measurement Branch -- Rachael Maves, Deputy Superintendent of Public Instruction
Oversees programs promoting improved student achievement. Programs include statewide student assessment, school and district interventions, state and federal accountability, collection and reporting of educational data.
- Analysis, Measurement & Accountability Reporting Division -- Cindy Kazanis, Director
- Assessment Development & Administration Division -- Dr. Mao Vang, Director
- Curriculum Frameworks & Instructional Resources Division -- Shanine Coats, Director
- Educational Data Management Division -- Jerry Winkler, Director
- Educator Excellence & Equity Division -- Barbara Murchison, Director
- Student Achievement & Support Division -- Dr. Lindsay Weiss-Tornatore, Director
- Local Agency Systems Support Office -- Vacant, Administrator
Legal & Audits Branch -- Keith Yamanaka, General Counsel
- Legal Division
- Amy Bisson Holloway, Chief Counsel II
- Virginia Jo Dunlap, Chief Counsel II
- Todd Smith, Chief Counsel II
- Audits & Investigations Division -- Kimberly Tarvin, Director
- Administrative Support & Regulations Adoption -- Lorie Adame, Manager
Opportunities for All Branch -- Sarah Neville-Morgan, Deputy Superintendent of Public Instruction
Helps all students—from infant and toddlers to adults—to fulfill their goals by supporting teachers, educators, and school and district leaders while celebrating diversity and embracing inclusion before, during, and after school.
- Early Learning & Care Division -- Stephen Propheter, Director
- Multilingual Support Division -- Veronica Aguila, Director
- Expanded Learning Division -- Michael R. Funk, Director
- Nutrition Services Division -- Kim Frinzell, Director
- Special Education Division -- Heather Calomese, Director
Operations & Administration Branch -- Lisa Constancio, Deputy Superintendent of Public Instruction
Oversees the CDE budget, accounting, information systems, and personnel services; apportionment of state and federal resources to local educational agencies (LEAs); and assistance to LEAs for fiscal and business aspects of public schools.
- Charter Schools Division -- Stephanie Farland, Director
- Fiscal & Administrative Services Division -- Leisa Maestretti, Director
- Human Resources Division -- Valarie Bliss, Director
- School Facilities & Transportation Services Division -- Juan Mireles, Director
- School Fiscal Services Division -- Elizabeth Dearstyne, Director