OrganizationDepartment offices and links to Web pages where more information is available.
An overview of the entire California Department of Education (CDE) showing branches and divisions.
For telephone numbers and e-mail addresses of employees, visit the online CDE Staff Telephone Directory
Tom Torlakson, State Superintendent of Public Instruction and Director of Education
Chief Deputy Superintendents of Public Instruction -- Glen Price and Michelle Zumot
- Office of the State Superintendent
- Communications Division -- Bill Ainsworth, Director
- Government Affairs Division -- Debra Brown, Director
- Superintendent's Initiatives Office -- Jason Spencer, Principal Advisor to the State Superintendent of Public Instruction
- Coordinated Student Support Division -- Gordon Jackson, Director
- Office of Equal Opportunity -- Sharon Felix-Campos, Manager
- Legal and Audits -- Amy Bisson Holloway, General Counsel
Branches and Divisions
Performance, Planning and Technology Branch -- Keric Ashley, Deputy Superintendent of Public Instruction
Oversees programs promoting improved student achievement. Programs include statewide student assessment, school and district interventions, state and federal accountability, collection and reporting of educational data, and technology.
- Analysis, Measurement & Accountability Reporting Division -- Cindy Kazanis, Director
- Assessment Development & Administration Division -- Michelle Center, Director
- Educational Data Management Division -- Jerry Winkler, Director
- Improvement & Accountability Division -- Melanie Schoeppe, Director
- Technology Services Division -- Rodney Okamoto, Director
- Local Agency Systems Support Office--Jeff Breshears, Director
Teaching and Learning Support Branch -- Tom Adams, Deputy Superintendent of Public Instruction
Helps all students—from infant and toddlers to adults—to fulfill their goals by supporting teachers, educators, and school and district leaders while celebrating diversity and embracing inclusion before, during, and after school.
- Career & College Transition Division -- Donna Wyatt, Director
- Curriculum Frameworks & Instructional Resources Division -- Stephanie Gregson, Director
- Early Learning and Care Division -- Sarah Neville-Morgan, Director
- English Learner Support Division -- Veronica Aguila, Director
- Expanded Learning Division -- Michael R. Funk, Director
- Educator Excellence & Equity Division -- Barbara Murchison, Director
- Special Education Division -- Kristin Wright, Director
Systems Support Branch -- Nick Schweizer, Deputy Superintendent of Public Instruction
Oversees the CDE budget, accounting, information systems, and personnel services; apportionment of state and federal resources to local educational agencies (LEAs); and assistance to LEAs for fiscal and business aspects of public schools.
- Charter Schools Division -- Lisa Constancio, Director
- Fiscal & Administrative Services Division -- Leisa Maestretti, Director
- Nutrition Services Division -- Kim Frinzell, Director
- Personnel Services Division -- Valarie Bliss, Director
- School Facilities & Transportation Services Division -- Juan Mireles, Director
- School Fiscal Services Division -- Caryn Moore, Director
- State Special Schools & Services Division -- Scott Kerby, Director