OrganizationDepartment offices and links to Web pages where more information is available.
An overview of the entire California Department of Education (CDE) showing branches and divisions.
Tony Thurmond, State Superintendent of Public Instruction and Director of Education
Chief Deputy Superintendent of Public Instruction -- Dr. Stephanie Gregson
- Office of Equal Opportunity -- Sharon Felix-Campos, Manager
- Superintendent's Initiatives Office -- Mary Nicely, Senior Policy Advisor to the State Superintendent of Public Instruction
- Government Affairs Division -- Julian Cuevas, Director
Branches and Divisions
Communications & Marketing Branch -- Kindra Britt, Deputy Superintendent of Public Instruction
Legal & Audits Branch -- Keith Yamanaka, General Counsel
- Legal Division
- Amy Bisson Holloway, Chief Counsel II
- Todd Smith, Chief Counsel II
- Audits & Investigations Division -- Kimberly Tarvin, Director
- Administrative Support & Regulations Adoption -- Patricia Alverson, Manager
Equity & Access Branch -- Khieem Jackson, Deputy Superintendent of Public Instruction
- Career & College Transition Division -- Dr. Pradeep Kotamraju, Director
- Charter Schools Division -- Stephanie Farland, Director
- Educator Excellence & Equity Division -- Barbara Murchison, Director
- Equity Unit
- STEAM Unit
- State Special Schools & Services Division -- Robin Zane, Director
Instruction & Measurement Branch -- Vacant.
Oversees programs promoting improved student achievement. Programs include statewide student assessment, school and district interventions, state and federal accountability, collection and reporting of educational data.
- Analysis, Measurement & Accountability Reporting Division -- Cindy Kazanis, Director
- Assessment Development & Administration Division -- Dr. Mao Vang, Director
- Curriculum Frameworks & Instructional Resources Division -- Shanine Coats, Director
- Educational Data Management Division -- Jerry Winkler, Director
- Improvement & Accountability Division -- Lindsay Weiss-Tornatore, Interim Director
- Local Agency Systems Support Office -- Jeff Breshears, Administrator
Opportunities for All Branch -- Sarah Neville-Morgan, Deputy Superintendent of Public Instruction
Helps all students—from infant and toddlers to adults—to fulfill their goals by supporting teachers, educators, and school and district leaders while celebrating diversity and embracing inclusion before, during, and after school.
- Early Learning & Care Division -- Stephen Propheter, Director
- English Learner Support Division -- Veronica Aguila, Director
- Expanded Learning Division -- Michael R. Funk, Director
- Nutrition Services Division -- Kim Frinzell, Director
- Special Education Division -- Kristin Wright, Director
Operations & Administration Branch -- Lisa Constancio, Deputy Superintendent of Public Instruction
Oversees the CDE budget, accounting, information systems, and personnel services; apportionment of state and federal resources to local educational agencies (LEAs); and assistance to LEAs for fiscal and business aspects of public schools.
- Fiscal & Administrative Services Division -- Leisa Maestretti, Director
- Human Resources Division -- Valarie Bliss, Director
- School Facilities & Transportation Services Division -- Juan Mireles, Director
- School Fiscal Services Division -- Elizabeth Dearstyne, Director
- Technology Services Division -- Rodney Okamoto, Director