OrganizationDepartment offices and links to Web pages where more information is available.
A one-page overview of the entire California Department of Education (CDE) with branches and divisions.
For telephone numbers and e-mail addresses of employees, visit the online CDE Staff Telephone Directory [http://www.cde.ca.gov/re/di/sd/]
Tom Torlakson, State Superintendent of Public Instruction and Director of Education
Chief Deputy Superintendents of Public Instruction -- Glen Price and Michelle Zumot
- Office of the State Superintendent
- Communications Division -- Bill Ainsworth, Director
- Government Affairs Division -- Debra Brown, Director
- Superintendent's Initiatives Office -- Jason Spencer, Principal Advisor to the State Superintendent of Public Instruction
- Coordinated Student Support Division -- Gordon Jackson, Director
- Office of Equal Opportunity -- Sharon Felix-Campos, Manager
- Legal and Audits -- Amy Bisson Holloway, General Counsel
Branches and Divisions
Performance, Planning & Technology Branch -- Keric Ashley, Deputy Superintendent of Public Instruction
Oversees programs promoting innovation and improved student achievement. Programs include statewide student assessment, school and district interventions, state and federal accountability, collection and reporting of educational data, and charter schools.
- Analysis, Measurement & Accountability Reporting Division -- Cindy Kazanis, Director
- Assessment Development & Administration Division -- Michelle Center, Director
- Educational Data Management Division -- Jerry Winkler, Director
- Improvement & Accountability Division -- Melanie Schoeppe, Director
- Technology Services Division -- Kevin Matsuo, Director
- Local Agency Systems Support Office--Jeff Breshears, Director
Teaching & Learning Support Branch -- Tom Adams, Deputy Superintendent of Public Instruction
Promotes the policy and budget priorities of the State Superintendent of Public Instruction before the Legislature, Congress, and the state and federal Administrations, and provides guidance and support for the development and oversight of high quality charter schools.
- Career & College Transition Division -- Donna Wyatt, Director
- Curriculum Frameworks & Instructional Resources Division -- Stephanie Gregson, Director
- Early Education & Support Division -- Sarah Neville-Morgan, Director
- English Learner Support Division -- Veronica Aguila, Director
- Expanded Learning Division -- Michael R. Funk, Director
- Professional Learning Support Division -- Barbara Murchison, Director
- Special Education Division -- Kristin Wright, Director
Systems Support Branch -- Nick Schweizer, Deputy Superintendent of Public Instruction
Oversees the CDE budget, accounting, information systems, and personnel services; apportionment of state and federal resources to local educational agencies (LEAs); and assistance to LEAs for fiscal and business aspects of public schools.
- Charter Schools Division -- Vacant, Director
- Fiscal & Administrative Services Division -- Caryn Moore, Director
- Nutrition Services Division -- Sandip Kaur, Director
- Personnel Services Division -- Valarie Bliss, Director
- School Facilities & Transportation Services Division -- Juan Mireles, Director
- School Fiscal Services Division -- Caryn Moore, Director
- State Special Schools & Services Division -- Scott Kerby, Director