California Basic Educational Data System (CBEDS)CBEDS is an annual collection of district and school information. This page contains information about CBEDS and includes resources to aid local educational agencies in completing their CBEDS data submission.
The California Basic Educational Data System (CBEDS) is an annual data collection administered in October. CBEDS data are reported through an Online Reporting Application called CBEDS-ORA. The purpose of CBEDS is to collect data about schools and districts, as well as some aggregate data on students and staff. The CBEDS data collection is comprised of a County/District Information Form (CDIF), a School Information Form (SIF), and a District of Choice Supplemental (DOCS). The CDIF is used to collect data specific to districts and county offices on the number of classified staff, estimated number of teacher hires, and work visa applications. The SIF is used to collect data specific to schools on the number of classified staff, kindergarten program type, educational calendars, work visa applications (for charter schools), multilingual instructional programs, and languages of instruction. The DOCS is used to collect District of Choice transfer information and is only required for districts participating in the District of Choice program.
October 3, 2018: CBEDS Information Day
October 31, 2018: CBEDS data are due to the California Department of Education (CDE)
The CBEDS-ORA allows CBEDS coordinators to:
- Submit SIF, CDIF, and DOCS data to the CDE
- Update CBEDS coordinator contact information
- Obtain a list of schools that are expected to submit CBEDS data
- CBEDS Administrative Manual October 2018 (DOCX; 12-Sep-2018)
- CBEDS Frequently Asked Questions 2017
Answers to frequently asked questions about the CBEDS data collection.
- CBEDS File Import Specifications 2018 – CDIF and SIF (DOCX; 12-Jul-2018)
2018 file specification for importing CDIF and SIF data into the CBEDS-ORA.
- CBEDS File Import Specifications 2018 – DOCS (DOCX; 31-Jul-2018)
2018 file specification for importing DOCS data into the CBEDS-ORA.
- CBEDS File Import Specifications 2017 (DOC; Revised 14-Jul-2017)
2017 file specifications for importing SIF and CDIF data into the CBEDS-ORA.
- CBEDS-ORA Quick Guide 2017
Brief step-by-step instructions on how to use the CBEDS-ORA.
- CBEDS-ORA Version History
- County/District Information Form 2018 – CDIF (PDF; 11-May-2018)
- School Information Form 2018 – SIF (PDF; 11-May-2018)
- District of Choice Supplemental 2018 – DOCS (PDF; 30-May-2018)
- Historical CBEDS Forms and Manuals
CBEDS training is provided to CBEDS coordinators in video format consisting of a Microsoft PowerPoint presentation with voice-over narration. Click on the training link below to view the video. Please allow approximately forty minutes for the training.
- 2018–19 CBEDS Training (Video; 40:39)
This training covers the reporting and submission of CBEDS data.
- 2018–19 CBEDS Training Video Transcript
This is a text transcript of the CBEDS training.
- CBEDS Fall 2018 Significant Dates, Responsibilities, and Contact Updates (Dated 2-Aug-2018)
- Changes to the Fall 2018 and 2019 CBEDS Data Collection (Dated 3-Apr-2018)
Policies and Guidelines
- Charter School Data Reporting Policy for CBEDS-ORA
- CBEDS Certification Process and Policy on Inaccuracies in Certified Data