California Basic Educational Data System (CBEDS)This page provides information about CBEDS, an annual collection of district and school information used for state and federal reporting.
The California Basic Educational Data System (CBEDS) is an annual data collection administered in October. CBEDS data are reported through an Online Reporting Application (CBEDS-ORA). The purpose of CBEDS is to collect data about schools and districts, as well as some aggregate data on students and staff.
The CBEDS data collection is comprised of a County/District Information Form (CDIF), a School Information Form (SIF), and a District of Choice Supplemental (DOCS). The CDIF is used to collect data specific to districts and county offices on the number of classified staff, estimated number of teacher hires, work visa applications, and home-to-school transportation data. The SIF is used to collect data specific to schools on the number of classified staff, kindergarten program type, educational calendars, and work visa applications (for charter schools). The DOCS is used to collect District of Choice transfer information and is only required for districts participating in the District of Choice program.
- October 4, 2023: CBEDS Information Day
- October 31, 2023: CBEDS data are due to the California Department of Education (CDE)
The CBEDS-ORA allows CBEDS coordinators to:
- Submit SIF, CDIF, and DOCS data to the CDE
- Update CBEDS coordinator contact information
- Obtain a list of schools that are expected to submit CBEDS data
- CBEDS Administrative Manual October 2023 (DOCX)
- CBEDS Frequently Asked Questions
Answers to frequently asked questions about the CBEDS data collection.
- District of Choice
Information on the District of Choice program, which allows local educational agencies (LEAs) to accept student transfers under the "District of Choice" provisions.
- CBEDS File Import Specifications 2023 – CDIF and SIF (DOCX)
2023 file specification for importing CDIF and SIF data into the CBEDS-ORA.
- CBEDS File Import Specifications 2023 – DOCS (DOCX)
2023 file specification for importing DOCS data into the CBEDS-ORA.
- CBEDS-ORA Quick Guide
Brief step-by-step instructions on how to use the CBEDS-ORA.
- CBEDS-ORA Glossary and Instructions
Links to glossary and instructions on how to report CBEDS data by section.
- County/District Information Form 2023 – CDIF (PDF)
- School Information Form 2023 – SIF (PDF)
- District of Choice Supplemental 2023 – DOCS (PDF)
- Earlier Documents: CBEDS manuals (from 1979 onward) and other CBEDS archived material (including old forms from 1999 onward), are available electronically by contacting the CBEDS Team at email@example.com.
CBEDS training is provided to CBEDS coordinators in video format consisting of a Microsoft PowerPoint presentation with voice-over narration. Click on the training link below to view the video. Please allow approximately forty-three minutes for the training.
- 2023–24 CBEDS Training (Video; 39:58)
This training covers the reporting and submission of CBEDS data.
- 2023–24 CBEDS Training Video Transcript
This is a text transcript of the CBEDS training.
- 2023 CBEDS Late Notice (Dated 01-Nov-2023)
- 2023 CBEDS Due Date Reminder (Dated 24-Oct-2023)
- 2023 CBEDS District of Choice Late Notice (Dated 17-Oct-2023)
- 2023 CBEDS District of Choice Deadline Reminder (Dated 12-Oct-2023)
- 2023 CBEDS Information Day Reminder (Dated 29-Sept-2023)
- 2023 CBEDS Resources and Responsibilities Letter to Districts (Dated 25-Sept-2023)
- 2023 CBEDS Resources and Responsibilities Letter to Independently Reporting Charters (IRC) (Dated 25-Sept-2023)
- 2023 CBEDS Contact Letter (Dated 18-July-2023)
- 2023 CBEDS Changes Letter (Revised 28-Sept-2023)
Policies and Guidelines
- Charter School Data Reporting Policy for CBEDS-ORA
- CBEDS Certification Process and Policy on Inaccuracies in Certified Data