California Basic Educational Data System (CBEDS)This page provides information about CBEDS, an annual collection of district and school information used for state and federal reporting.
The California Basic Educational Data System (CBEDS) is an annual data collection administered in October. CBEDS data are reported through an Online Reporting Application (CBEDS-ORA). The purpose of CBEDS is to collect data about schools and districts, as well as some aggregate data on students and staff.
The CBEDS data collection is comprised of a County/District Information Form (CDIF), a School Information Form (SIF), and a District of Choice Supplemental (DOCS). The CDIF is used to collect data specific to districts and county offices on the number of classified staff, estimated number of teacher hires, and work visa applications. The SIF is used to collect data specific to schools on the number of classified staff, kindergarten program type, educational calendars, and work visa applications (for charter schools). The DOCS is used to collect District of Choice transfer information and is only required for districts participating in the District of Choice program.
- October 6, 2021: CBEDS Information Day
- October 29, 2021: CBEDS data are due to the California Department of Education (CDE)
The CBEDS-ORA allows CBEDS coordinators to:
- Submit SIF, CDIF, and DOCS data to the CDE
- Update CBEDS coordinator contact information
- Obtain a list of schools that are expected to submit CBEDS data
- CBEDS Administrative Manual October 2021 (DOCX)
- CBEDS Frequently Asked Questions
Answers to frequently asked questions about the CBEDS data collection.
- District of Choice
Information on the District of Choice program, which allows local educational agencies (LEAs) to accept student transfers under the "District of Choice" provisions.
- CBEDS File Import Specifications 2021 – CDIF and SIF (DOCX)
2021 file specification for importing CDIF and SIF data into the CBEDS-ORA.
- CBEDS File Import Specifications 2021 – DOCS (DOCX)
2021 file specification for importing DOCS data into the CBEDS-ORA.
- CBEDS-ORA Quick Guide
Brief step-by-step instructions on how to use the CBEDS-ORA.
- CBEDS-ORA Glossary and Instructions
Links to glossary and instructions on how to report CBEDS data by section.
- CBEDS-ORA Version History
Prior Year (2020) File Import Specifications
- CBEDS File Import Specifications 2020 – CDIF and SIF (DOCX)
Prior Year (2020) file specifications for importing SIF and CDIF data into the CBEDS-ORA.
- CBEDS File Import Specifications 2020 – DOCS (DOCX)
Prior Year (2020) file specifications for importing DOCS data into the CBEDS-ORA.
- County/District Information Form 2021 – CDIF (PDF)
- School Information Form 2021 – SIF (PDF)
- District of Choice Supplemental 2021 – DOCS (PDF)
- Historical CBEDS Forms and Manuals
CBEDS training is provided to CBEDS coordinators in video format consisting of a Microsoft PowerPoint presentation with voice-over narration. Click on the training link below to view the video. Please allow approximately forty minutes for the training.
- 2021–22 CBEDS Training (Video; 39:38)
This training covers the reporting and submission of CBEDS data.
- 2021–22 CBEDS Training Video Transcript
This is a text transcript of the CBEDS training.
- 2021 CBEDS Resources and Responsibilities Letter for Districts (Dated 17-Sep-2021)
- 2021 CBEDS Resources and Responsibilities Letter for Independently Reporting Charters (Dated 17-Sep-2021)
- 2021 CBEDS Contact Letter (Dated 20-Jul-2021)
Policies and Guidelines
- Charter School Data Reporting Policy for CBEDS-ORA
- CBEDS Certification Process and Policy on Inaccuracies in Certified Data