English Language Proficiency Assessments for California (ELPAC)California’s statewide test for English language proficiency.
The ELPAC is the required state test for English language proficiency (ELP) that must be given to students whose primary language is a language other than English. State and federal law require that local educational agencies administer a state test of ELP to eligible students in kindergarten through grade twelve. The California Department of Education (CDE) transitioned from the California English Language Development Test (CELDT) to the ELPAC as the state ELP assessment in 2018. The ELPAC is aligned with the 2012 California English Language Development Standards. It consists of two separate ELP assessments: one for the initial identification of students as English learners (ELs), and a second for the annual summative assessment to measure a student’s progress in learning English and to identify the student's level of ELP.
The following links provide additional information about the program:
ELPAC – CalEdFacts web page provides a more detailed overview of the test.
California Assessment Timeline (PDF) presents the assessment administration timeline.
Assessment System Chart (PDF) lists the tests of the 2022–23 California assessment system by subject content, test name, test type, student participant groups, grade levels, and testing window timeframe.
Assessment Spotlight web page contains archives of all previous Assessment Spotlight emails. Send a blank email to firstname.lastname@example.org to receive regular updates on the latest information about the statewide assessment system.
The ELPAC System (PDF) includes the following assessments:
Resources and Communication Materials
English-Spanish Education and Assessment Glossary
Translation glossary for assessment-related communications prepared by the CDE.
Matching Accessibility Resources to Student Needs Virtual Training
A virtual training designed to provide educators with an understanding of the importance of accessibility resources, the categories of accessibility resources, and the process for matching students with appropriate accessibility resources for daily instruction and on assessments.
California Assessment Accessibility Resources Matrix
The matrix displays the embedded and non-embedded universal tools, designated supports, and accommodations (UDAs) allowed as part of the California Assessment of Student Performance and Progress (CAASPP) and ELPAC for 2020–21.
Scores and Results Reporting
Now families have a new website for resources to support their child’s learning. The Starting Smarter website includes information on student score reports, sample test questions, parent-teacher conferences, and other no-cost resources in English and Spanish.
- Analysis of Remote Testing for the Optional Fall 2019–2020 Summative English Language Proficiency Assessments for California (DOCX)
- The Definitions of Task Types (PDF) in the ELPAC blueprints are designed to be aligned with California’s 2012 English Language Development Standards, which were developed to correspond to the 2010 California Common Core State Standards. The Initial task types and blueprints were approved and adopted by the State Board of Education on November 4, 2015.
- 2012 California English Language Development Standards
- Correspondence Study Report (PDF)
- Integrating the CA English Language Development Standards into K–12 Mathematics and Science Teaching and Learning: A Supplementary Resource for Educators Implementing the California English Language Development Standards, the California Common Core State Standards for Mathematics, and the Next Generation Science Standards for California Public Schools (DOC; 16-Dec-2015)
- Educational Testing Service conducted a study to determine the viability of transitioning the ELPAC, a paper-pencil test, to a Computer-Based Assessment (PDF; 2MB)
- Accessibility and Usability for the English Language Proficiency Assessments for California: A Cognitive Lab Study with Students Who Are Deaf or Hard of Hearing and Students Who Are Blind or Have Low Vision (PDF; 1MB)
- Summative ELPAC Alignment Study Report (PDF; 2MB)
- Summative Alternate ELPAC Alignment Study Report (PDF; 2MB)
- ELPAC Interim Assessment Blueprints (PDF)