Initial ELPACInformation about the Initial English Language Proficiency Assessments for California (ELPAC).
The Initial ELPAC is the required state test for English Language Proficiency (ELP) that is given to students whose primary language is a language other than English. State and federal law requires that local educational agencies (LEAs) administer a state test for ELP to eligible students in kindergarten through grade twelve. The purpose of the Initial ELPAC is to determine the English proficiency of students entering California schools for the first time. Identifying students who need help learning in English is important so students get the support they need to do well in school while receiving instruction in all school subjects.
Resources and Communication Materials
2020–21 Initial ELPAC Testing Parent/Guardian Notification Letter (DOCX)
This letter serves as notice to parents/guardians that their child will be administered the Initial ELPAC.
- La carta inicial de ELPAC para padres/guardián (DOCX)
- Other translations of the 2020–21 Initial ELPAC Testing Parent/Guardian Notification Letter
Scores and Results Reporting
The Initial ELPAC 2018–19 Scale Score Ranges document provides the Overall scale score ranges and the weighting of the Overall score by grade/grade span.
This webinar was created to help LEAs ELPAC and California Longitudinal Pupil Achievement Data System (CALPADS) Coordinators better understand the start-to-finish process of language designation, and covered how to navigate the language fields of CALPADS, resulting in more timely and accurate lists of students who need to take the ELPAC.
- Initial ELPAC and the CALPADS System Webinar Video
- Initial ELPAC and the CALPADS System Transcript (DOCX)
Laws, Regulations, and Requirements
The administration of an ELP assessment is required by law.
Final regulations were adopted by the Office of Administrative Law for the ELPAC administration; see California Code of Regulations, Title 5, sections 11517.6 through 11519.5 .
- Initial ELPAC General Performance Level Descriptors (PLDs)
- ELPAC Iniciales PLDs Generales
- Definition of Task Types (PDF)
- Test Blueprints for the Initial ELPAC (PDF)
- Initial ELPAC Threshold Score Review Study Final Report (DOCX)
- Computer-based Initial ELPAC Fall 2019 Field Test Technical Report (PDF)