School Disaster and Emergency ManagementGuidance, grants, training, and resources for local educational agencies (LEAs) related to the management of natural disasters and emergency hazards.
School Emergency Reporting System (SERS)
This tool is designed for local educational agencies (LEA) to report disaster impacts of their schools and request assistance. Utilizing this system will expedite resources to LEAs during the critical response phase of emergencies. Each LEA has a unique access code, so contact the Emergency Services Team if you need it.
- SERS LEA Login
- Recorded webinar of the School Emergency Reporting System Training .
- Training Slides (PPTX)
Preparedness Ambassadors Program
The Preparedness Ambassadors curriculum is designed to engage 4th grade students to develop and promote disaster preparedness guidelines for their homes, schools, and local communities.
CDE Emergency Response Fund
The California Department of Education (CDE) has launched a statewide fundraising effort to bolster aid for schools in regions ravaged by wildfires and other disasters. Those who wish to donate can visit this GoFundMe page. Funds will be used for essentials such as food, water, computers, internet hotspots, personal protective equipment, and other supplies.
Disaster and Emergency Resources
Resources for local educational agencies (LEAs) related to emergency preparedness/mitigation, response and recovery associated with natural disasters and emergency situations.
Disaster Relief Grants
The following are disaster relief grants used to fund or reimburse schools that were impacted by natural disasters.
- Project SERV (School Emergency Response to Violence)
- Immediate Aid to Restart School Operations (Restart) Program 2018-19
- Immediate Aid to Restart School Operations (Restart) Program 2017
- Emergency Impact Aid (EIA) 2018-19
- Emergency Impact Aid (EIA) 2017
- Assistance for the Homeless Children and Youth Program
The following document lists federally-declared disasters or emergencies in 2018 and 2019 by county. These declared disasters and emergencies may qualify LEAs to receive local assistance awards from Restart and/or EIA. Note: The EIA grant serves LEAs that received and enrolled students displaced from their school of enrollment due to a qualifying disaster or emergency.
The following are training courses provided by state, federal and organizations to better prepare for natural disasters and emergency situations.
- California Specialized Training Institute (CSTI)
, courses on:
- Disaster Recovery
- Disaster Mitigation
- Emergency Management Concepts
- and more!
- Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA)
- FEMA - Independent Study
- IS-100.c: Introduction to Incident Command System (ICS)
- IS-200.b: ICS for Single Resources and Initial Action Incidents
- IS-700.b: Introduction to National Incident Management System (NIMS)
- IS-800.c: Introduction to the National Response Framework
- FEMA - All Available Courses
- * E0300: ICS 300: Intermediate ICS
- * E0400: ICS 400:
Advanced Incident Command System
- ** FEMA - Emergency Management Institute School Program
- FEMA 159 Earthquakes: A Teacher’s Package for K-6 (Tremor Troops)
- Floodplain Management lesson plan for grades 7-12
- E0360: Preparing for Emergencies: What School Staff Need to Know
- FEMA - Independent Study
* Recommended for leadership personnel.
** Additional courses specifically designed for educators.