School Disaster and Emergency ManagementGuidance, grants, training, and resources for local educational agencies (LEAs) related to the management of natural disasters and emergency hazards.
School Emergency Reporting System (SERS)
This tool is designed for local educational agencies (LEA) to report disaster impacts of their schools and request assistance. Utilizing this system will expedite resources to LEAs during the critical response phase of emergencies. Each LEA has a unique access code, so contact the Emergency Services Team if you need it.
- SERS LEA Login
- Recorded webinar of the School Emergency Reporting System Training (Video; 12:15)
- Training Slides (PPTX)
Preparedness Ambassadors Program
The Preparedness Ambassadors curriculum is designed to engage 4th grade students to develop and promote disaster preparedness guidelines for their homes, schools, and local communities.
Guidance for Schools Related to the Opioid Crisis
Opioids are the fastest-growing cause of death in our state; now we had an opportunity to come together and learn from subject matter experts on how we all can play a role in the fight against the opioid crisis. This event included experts from the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration, California Health and Human Services, local educational agencies, the CDE, and more. Panelists shared information on ways we can work together to educate, prevent, and intervene to support and protect students.
Recorded webinar of Guidance for Schools Related to the Opioid Crisis (Video;1:05:50)
Statewide Wildfire Preparedness Webinar for Educational Entities
The largest, deadliest, and most destructive wildfires in California’s history have occurred in recent years, changing the lives of thousands. Schools were impacted by those fires, which affected whole communities. To prepare for the wildfire season, the California Department of Education partnered with other state agencies to provide the latest preparedness information. This presentation is directed at school districts, charter schools, private schools, and educational organizations that represent K-12 schools within the state.
2022 Statewide Wildfire Preparedness Webinar (Video; 1:48:43)
Disaster and Emergency Resources
Resources for local educational agencies (LEAs) related to emergency preparedness/mitigation, response and recovery associated with natural disasters and emergency situations.
Disaster Relief Grants
The following are disaster relief grants used to fund or reimburse schools that were impacted by natural disasters.
- Project SERV (School Emergency Response to Violence)
- California Disaster Assistance Act (CDAA)
- Federal Disaster Assistance
The following are training courses provided by state, federal and organizations to better prepare for natural disasters and emergency situations.
California Specialized Training Institute (CSTI) , courses on:
- Disaster Recovery
- Disaster Mitigation
- Emergency Management Concepts and more!
Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA)
- FEMA - Independent Study
- National Preparedness Courses
- * E0300: ICS 300: Intermediate ICS for Expanding Incidents
- * E0400: ICS 400:
Advanced Incident Command System
- ** FEMA - Emergency Management Institute School Program
- FEMA Earthquake Courses
- For the below courses you must choose from the dropdown menu
- FEMA 159 Earthquakes: A Teacher’s Package for K-6 (Tremor Troops)
- FEMA 253 Seismic Sleuths: A Teacher's Package for Grades 7-12
- Earthquake Safety for Schools
- All Other Hazard Courses
- E360 Preparing for Emergencies: What Teachers Need To Know
- E361 Multihazard Emergency Planning for Schools
- E364 Multihazard Emergencies Planning for Schools
- IS-360: Preparing for Mass Casualty Incidents: A guide for Schools, Higher Education, and Houses of Worship
- IS-362.a: Multi-Hazard Emergency Planning for Schools