English Language Proficiency Assessments for California (ELPAC)California’s statewide test for English language proficiency.
The English Language Proficiency Assessments for California (ELPAC) is the required state test for English language proficiency (ELP) that must be given to students whose primary language is a language other than English. State and federal law require that local educational agencies administer a state test of ELP to eligible students in kindergarten through grade twelve. The California Department of Education (CDE) transitioned from the California English Language Development Test (CELDT) to the ELPAC as the state ELP assessment in 2018. The ELPAC is aligned with the 2012 California English Language Development Standards. It consists of two separate ELP assessments: one for the initial identification of students as English learners (ELs), and a second for the annual summative assessment to measure a student’s progress in learning English and to identify the student's level of ELP.
The following links provide additional information about the program:
ELPAC – CalEdFacts web page provides a more detailed overview of the test.
California Assessment Timeline (PDF) presents the assessment administration timeline for the 2018–19 and 2019–20 school years.
Assessment System Chart (PDF) lists the tests of the 2018–19 California assessment system by subject content, test name, test type, student participant groups, grade levels, and testing window time frame.
Resources and Communication Materials
ELPAC Overview Video: English (Video; 16:06)
ELPAC Overview Video: Spanish (Video; 18:28)
Practice test flyer (PDF)
ELPAC Coordinator Checklist (DOCX)
2017–18 Notice of Summative ELPAC Administration Letter (DOC)
2017–18 Notificación de la carta administración sumativa de ELPAC (DOCX)
Other translations of the 2017–18 Notice of Summative ELPAC Administration Letter
2018–19 Initial ELPAC Testing Parent/Guardian Notification Letter (DOCX) –This letter serves as notice to parents/guardians that their child will be administered the Initial ELPAC.
2018–19 Notificación de la carta inicial de ELPAC para padres/guardián (DOCX)
Other translations of the 2018–19 Initial ELPAC Testing Parent/Guardian Notification Letter
Scores and Results Reporting
The “Guide to Understanding Your Student Score Report, 2017–18 Summative ELPAC” explains your child's score report. It is available in Spanish, Vietnamese, and Mandarin on the ELPAC website .
Reporting resources for local educational agencies include:
- Summative ELPAC Score Report letter template (DOCX)
- Pruebas Sumativas de Suficiencia en el Idioma Ingles (DOCX)
- 2018–19 Initial ELPAC Student Score Report Letter (DOCX)
Laws, Regulations, and Requirements
The administration of an ELP assessment is required by law.
- ELPAC blueprints (PDF)
- The Initial task types (PDF) in the ELPAC blueprints are designed to be aligned with California’s 2012 English Language Development Standards, which were developed to correspond to the 2010 California Common Core State Standards. The Initial task types and blueprints were approved and adopted by the State Board of Education on November 4, 2015.
- The revised Summative ELPAC task types and blueprints (PDF) were approved and adopted by the State Board of Education on September 14, 2017.
- Educational Testing Service conducted a study to determine the viability of transitioning the ELPAC, a paper-pencil test, to a Computer-Based Assessment (PDF; 2MB).
- Potential Transition of the ELPAC to Computer-Based Assessment Addendum Memo (PDF)
- 2012 California English Language Development Standards
- Correspondence Study Report (PDF)
- Integrating the CA ELD Standards into K–12 Mathematics and Science Teaching and Learning: A Supplementary Resource for Educators Implementing the California English Language Development Standards, the California Common Core State Standards for Mathematics, and the Next Generation Science Standards for California Public Schools (DOC; 16-Dec-2015)
Initial ELPAC technical documents
- Initial task types (PDF)
- Initial ELPAC General Performance Level Descriptors (PLDs)
- ELPAC Iniciales PLDs Generales
Summative ELPAC technical documents
- Summative ELPAC task types and blueprints (PDF)
- Summative ELPAC General PLDs
- ELPAC Sumativas PLDs Generales