Smarter Balanced Interim Assessments
The Smarter Balanced assessment system has three components: the summative assessments, designed for accountability purposes; interim assessments, designed to support teaching and learning throughout the year; and the Digital Library, designed to support classroom-based formative assessment processes. The Smarter Balanced Assessment Graphic (PDF) displays the relationship between these components, the Common Core State Standards (CCSS), and college and career readiness.
Pursuant to California Education Code Section 60642.6, interim assessments are available to all local educational agencies. The interim assessments are specifically designed to provide meaningful information for gauging student progress throughout the year toward mastery of the skills measured by the summative assessments.
There are two types of interim assessments:
- Interim Comprehensive Assessments (ICAs) are built on the same blueprints as the summative assessments. The ICAs include the same item types and formats, including performance tasks, as the summative assessments, and yield results on the same vertical scale. The ICAs yield overall scale scores, overall performance level designations, and claim-level information.
2018–19 Interim Comprehensive Assessment Blueprints
- Interim Assessment Blocks (IABs) focus on the smaller sets of targets and therefore provide more detailed information for instructional purposes. The IABs yield overall information for each block. A flyer listing all IABs available by grade (PDF) shows the blocks available for grade level English language arts/literacy (ELA) and mathematics.
2018–19 Interim Assessment Block Blueprints
- Smarter Balanced Training Tests, Practice Tests, and Interim Assessments At-a-Glance (PDF)
- 2018–19 Interim Assessments Available by Grade (PDF) – This document provides a list of all interim assessments available by grade, including the total number of items and the number of items that are hand scored. This information is intended to assist LEAs in planning for the administration and local hand scoring of the IAs.
- Interim Assessment Video Series – This series consists of five video modules intended to help educators effectively use the interim assessment systems and tools that are needed to select, administer, hand score, view and use results from the Smarter Balanced Interim Assessments.
- Smarter Balanced Assessment Consortium, Interim Assessments – This is a link to the Smarter Balanced Interim Assessments web page.