Smarter Balanced Interim Assessments
The Smarter Balanced assessment system has three components: the summative assessments, designed for accountability purposes; interim assessments, designed to support teaching and learning throughout the year; and the Digital Library, designed to support classroom-based formative assessment processes. The Smarter Balanced Assessment Graphic (PDF) displays the relationship between these components, the Common Core State Standards (CCSS), and college and career readiness.
Pursuant to California Education Code Section 60642.6, interim assessments are available to all local educational agencies. The interim assessments are specifically designed to provide meaningful information for gauging student progress throughout the year toward mastery of the skills measured by the summative assessments.
There are two types of interim assessments:
- Interim Comprehensive Assessment (ICAs) are built on the same blueprints as the summative assessments. The ICAs include the same item types and formats, including performance tasks, as the summative assessments, and yield results on the same vertical scale. The ICAs yield overall scale scores, overall performance level designations, and claim-level information.
2019–20 Interim Comprehensive Assessment Blueprints
- Interim Assessment Blocks (IABs) focus on smaller sets of targets and therefore provide more detailed information for instructional purposes. Beginning with the 2019–20 school year, a new type of IAB–called focused IABs–will be available. Focused IABs will assess fewer assessment targets than traditional IABs. A focused IABs flyer (PDF) is available for more information about this new type of IAB.
2019–20 Interim Assessment Blocks Blueprints
For further information on the interim assessments, please refer to the related resources below:
- Interim Assessment Video Series – This series consists of five video modules intended to help educators effectively use the interim assessment systems and tools that are needed to select, administer, hand score, view and use results from the Smarter Balanced Interim Assessments.
- Interim Assessment Fact Sheet (PDF)
- Smarter Balanced Training Tests, Practice Tests, and Interim Assessments At-a-Glance (PDF)
- 2019–20 Interim Assessments At-a-Glance (PDF) – This document lists, by grade level, all available interim assessments.
- 2019–20 Interim Assessments by Grade (PDF) – This document provides a list of all interim assessments available by grade, including the claims and targets, total number of items, and the number of items that are hand scored. This information is intended to assist local educational agencies in planning for the administration and local hand scoring of the interim assessments.
- 2019–20 Interim Assessment Overview (PDF) – This document describes the interim assessments, including their purpose, use, and varieties. For each grade and subject, this document provides a list of interim assessments available for the 2019–20 school year.
- Smarter Content Explorer – This user-friendly web tool combines the information provided in the Smarter Balanced Content and Item Specifications—key resources used in test and item development—into an easy-to-use search interface. This tool can help teachers better understand how test questions are designed to provide evidence of what students know and can do.
- Smarter Balanced Assessment Consortium, Interim Assessments – This is a link to the Smarter Balanced Interim Assessments web page.
- Interim Assessment Frequently Asked Questions