Dear Select CBEDS Coordinators:
California Basic Educational Data System Resources and Responsibilities
This letter is to inform California Basic Educational Data System (CBEDS) Coordinators of their responsibilities for collecting and submitting CBEDS data, to provide an update on reporting home-to-school transportation data for charter schools, and to provide coordinators with the resources they need to ensure a timely and successful submission of 2023–24 CBEDS data. CBEDS data represent current school year data, as well as future projections. The CBEDS data collection begins on Information Day, October 4, 2023, and data are to be submitted to the California Department of Education (CDE) on or before October 31, 2023.
As your local educational agency’s (LEAs) CBEDS Coordinator, it is your responsibility to:
- Participate in the 40-minute online CBEDS training.
- Provide CBEDS summary reports to the appropriate staff for review and approval prior to submission to the CDE.
- Ensure that accurate data for your Independently Reporting Charter (IRC) is submitted in a timely fashion using the CBEDS Online Reporting Application (CBEDS-ORA).
- Serve as the point of contact for any questions about the data submitted.
- Maintain CBEDS contact information through CBEDS-ORA.
Updated Guidance on Reporting Home-to-School Transportation Data for Charter Schools
In the Changes to the Fall 2023 California Basic Educational Data System letter sent in June, we mentioned that charter authorizers must report data on behalf of their authorized charter schools that provide transportation services. Upon further clarification from the CDE’s School Fiscal Services Division, charter schools and charter authorizers do not receive transportation funding for transportation services provided to charter school students. Therefore, home-to-school transportation information for charter school students should be excluded from the LEA’s reported home-to-school transportation data.
In order to successfully complete the 2023–24 CBEDS data collection, CBEDS Coordinators should review the following, all of which are accessible via the CDE CBEDS web page at http://www.cde.ca.gov/ds/dc/cb/index.asp:
- The CBEDS Administrative Manual
- CBEDS Frequently Asked Questions
- The CBEDS training, which is a video consisting of Microsoft PowerPoint with voice-over narration and may be viewed at your leisure.
- Any additional resources the CDE makes available via the CDE CBEDS web, such as forms, letters, policies, and guidelines.
CBEDS Online Reporting Application
CBEDS School Information Form (SIF) data are collected through CBEDS-ORA. This online application contains formatted data entry screens, built-in validation checks, current and prior year data reports, and the ability to import and export data files. The CBEDS-ORA is located on the CDE website at http://www3.cde.ca.gov/opuscbeds/login.aspx and will be available for data entry and reporting beginning October 4.
CBEDS-ORA requires a user name and password to access the system. Your CDE-assigned LEA user name and password were provided via email in July. If you do not have your username or password, utilize the Retrieve Username/Password option on the CBEDS-ORA logon page, or contact CBEDS staff.
If we can be of any assistance as you prepare for the 2023–24 CBEDS data collection, or should you have any questions regarding the content of this letter, please contact CBEDS staff in the CBEDS/CDS Support Office by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Shana Yeary, Manager
CBEDS/CDS Support Office