Public School Directory Style SheetThe California Department of Education’s standards for reporting Directory information, such as school/district names, email, web, and physical/mailing addresses, and personnel titles.
School Names and District Names
- Omit “School District” from district names.
- Omit “School” from school names except when it falls in the middle of a name (e.g., “Corona School of the Arts”).
- Omit “The” from school names except when it falls in the middle of a name (e.g., “Corona School of the Arts”).
- If initials are used for schools named after a person, include a space between initials.
E-mail Addresses, Web Addresses, and Physical and Mailing Addresses
- Lowercase all e-mail addresses.
- Lowercase all Web addresses. Use “http://” only when a Web address does not begin with “www.”
- Include mailing address only when it differs from the physical address.
- For numbered street names, spell out the numbers one through ten (e.g., “Ninth St.”). Use numerals for all others (e.g., 13th St.).
- For street addresses, always use numerals (e.g., 1 Washington Sq.).
- Post office boxes or drawers must be abbreviated without periods and without spaces between the “P” and the “O” (e.g., PO Box).
- Use the following abbreviations in street names:
- Avenue Ave.*
- Avenues Aves.
- Boulevard Blvd.*
- Building Bldg.
- Center Ctr.*
- Circle Cir.
- Court Ct.
- Drive Dr.
- Floor Fl.
- Highway Hwy.*
- Lane Ln.
- Parkway Pkwy.
- Place Pl.
- Road Rd.
- Roads Rds.
- Route Rt.*
- Room Rm.
- Square Sq.
- Street St.
- Streets Sts.
- Suite Ste.
* Exceptions: Do not abbreviate if the word falls in the middle of the street name (e.g., “1340 Avenue 36,” “619 Highway 135”). Do not abbreviate Mount, Plaza, Saint, Terrace, or Way.
- Spell out compass points in all cases (e.g., “490 North Hollywood Dr.,” “1920 Main St. East”).
School and School District Personnel
- Prefixes and suffixes should not be typed into a name (first, middle, or last) or title field. Use the appropriate dropdown menu for prefix or suffix, as needed.
- Follow the standard format for district personnel, for example: Director, Curriculum and Instruction (rather than Director of Curriculum & Instruction).
- If initials are used in a name, place a period after the initial. If more than one initial is used, include a space between initials.
- Use the following open and closed compounds for job titles:
- Open Compounds
- Coordinator in Charge
- Interim Superintendent
- Teacher in Charge
- Vice Chancellor
- Vice President
- Vice Principal
- Closed Compounds
- Open Compounds
Questions: CDS Administration | email@example.com | 916-327-4014
Last Reviewed: Tuesday, July 20, 2021